GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Source for "Hoof and Horn" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/57922-source-hoof-horn.html)

Bpyboy 06-04-2004 09:17 PM

Source for "Hoof and Horn"

New here. My father in law is a professional orchid grower, and asked me to
try and find a source for a product called "hoof and horn" that seems to be
made of african antelope hoof and horn meal. He likes it because it takes
longer to break down than other kinds of hoof and horn meals.

He said that it was imported by a company in california, but that he hadn't
seen any on the market for some time now. Does anyone know if the product is
still available? Is it still produced/imported?

Many thanks
John

If you have any info, please feel free to email me about it!

TRAINMAN9 06-04-2004 09:17 PM

Source for "Hoof and Horn"

My father in law is a professional orchid grower, and asked me to
try and find a source for a product called "hoof and horn" that seems to be

We used to use this in our paph mix many years ago. I don't think it was ever
made from african antelope hoof and horn but I could be wrong.

I would suspect regular bone meal would have similar results.

Stephen 06-04-2004 09:18 PM

Source for "Hoof and Horn"

Kudu's to you for your search. I heard they quit making it as Dik Diks were
just too hard to catch and their tiny little hooves and horns didn't go too
far. (Ssssshh, don't tell them dik diks didn't have horns) They are now
chasing 5 toed sloths. Yes, I know, they aren't very bright, but they are
greedy. Two and three aren't good enough for them.........
Spartacus

Dewitt 06-04-2004 09:18 PM

Source for "Hoof and Horn"

On 04 Apr 2004 12:13:02 GMT, (Bpyboy) wrote:

He said that it was imported by a company in california, but that he hadn't
seen any on the market for some time now. Does anyone know if the product is
still available? Is it still produced/imported?

It's listed on
http://store.yahoo.com/classicnurser...ggorganic.html

deg

J. Del Col 06-04-2004 09:18 PM

Source for "Hoof and Horn"

nospamX (TRAINMAN9) wrote in message ...
My father in law is a professional orchid grower, and asked me to
try and find a source for a product called "hoof and horn" that seems to be

We used to use this in our paph mix many years ago. I don't think it was ever
made from african antelope hoof and horn but I could be wrong.

I would suspect regular bone meal would have similar results.

H&H is made from parts of domestic cattle---a lot more plentiful and a
hell of a lot cheaper.

J. Del Col

J. Del Col 06-04-2004 09:18 PM

Source for "Hoof and Horn"

(Bpyboy) wrote in message ...
New here. My father in law is a professional orchid grower, and asked me to
try and find a source for a product called "hoof and horn" that seems to be
made of african antelope hoof and horn meal. He likes it because it takes
longer to break down than other kinds of hoof and horn meals.

He said that it was imported by a company in california, but that he hadn't
seen any on the market for some time now. Does anyone know if the product is
still available? Is it still produced/imported?

Many thanks
John

H & H powder is subject to import controls because of the risk of
animal diseases such as BSE and foot and mouth disease, IIRC.

J. Del Col