Old 02-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Default (B.t.)

I'll check Lowes out. Last night at Meijers (a big chain store
around here) the clerk told me that BT was illegal... I politely (well,
mostly politely) told her it most certainly wasn't illegal. Perhaps it
is no longer being stocked, but that doesn't make it illegal. She was
just parroting what somebody else had told her. She correctly knew that
diazanon was no longer being sold for home use (10 points)... Now the
difference between BT (Bacillus thurengiensis - certified for organic
produce in states which certify that kind of thing) and diazanon is
quite a leap.

She suggested Sevin, and we laughed about how the 'legal' product
was far more toxic to bees and the rest of the environment than the
'illegal' one (I'll give her 5 points for that). I am not putting that
on my broccoli... She is the second clerk (at two different
establishments) to tell me BT was illegal. I'm pretty sure it is not.
I think the robots get in the habit of saying whatever they don't stock
is banned, rather than having some sort of informed opinion. Heck, most
of the stuff they sell should be banned, so maybe they are just getting
us used to it.

Rob

Dustin wrote:

I found some last night at Lowes. It was made by Green Light. Says BT
worm killer on the bottle. Its a liquid though, not a powder.

I sprayed with it this morning.

Dustin

Rob Halgren wrote:

Dewitt wrote:

For caterpillars, nothing beats BT (bacillus thurengensis) and it's
completely harmless to frogs, lizards, and most insects. It should be
available at any garden store. Just tell them you need BT for
caterpillars.

deg

I don't suppose anybody can tell me where to get Bt... I can't seem
to find it anymore around here. I swear I bought some a few years ago,
but I'm out now. I've tried Home Despot, Franks, and some of the other
more likely candidates. They all look at me like I have antennae
growing out of my head (and they aren't supposed to be able to see
those...).

I've found Bacillus popillae (in _big_ bags - that is the milky
spore you put on your lawn for grubs), but that is as close as I get.
Well, that isn't true, I can also find Bt. dunk rings for ponds. But
not the powdered stuff.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )