GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Should I cut leaves open? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/83259-should-i-cut-leaves-open.html)

Sarah 09-09-2004 05:34 PM

Should I cut leaves open?

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of dendrobiums with new leaves that haven't opened up yet.
Essentially, the leaves remain sealed tubes. Should I cut these open with a
knife, or should I let nature take its course? Doing the latter may result
in the next leaf not growing properly.

Advice would be appreciated!

Sarah

unknown 11-09-2004 10:50 PM

In article ,
"Sarah" wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of dendrobiums with new leaves that haven't opened up yet.
Essentially, the leaves remain sealed tubes. Should I cut these open with a
knife, or should I let nature take its course? Doing the latter may result
in the next leaf not growing properly.

Advice would be appreciated!

Sarah

well, i don't know if this is the right or wrong thing to do, but i
nudge them open, usually just using my fingers or the edge of a
fingernail... nothing's died yet, but then, neither do they bloom. ;-)

--j_a

Sarah 12-09-2004 05:09 PM

I've tried to nudge them open, too, but they're so sealed shut that the
leaves sometimes tear. :-(

I think it might be time to buy an x-acto knife.

Thanks j_a!

Sarah

danny 12-09-2004 07:47 PM

If you're growing the plants inside your house like I am and you only water
the base of the plant, you may need to start watering the leaves as well to
help dissolve the stuff that keeps the new leaves sticking together (just
stick it in the shower occasionally). Raising the humidity can be a big
help. Be very careful if you cut them open, it's tough to only cut what you
want to, there is often some collateral damage when I try stuff like that.

-danny

Sarah 13-09-2004 12:18 AM

Thanks, Danny!

Sarah

"Sarah" wrote in message
I've tried to nudge them open, too, but they're so sealed shut that the
leaves sometimes tear. :-(

I think it might be time to buy an x-acto knife.

Thanks j_a!

Sarah

13-09-2004 12:32 AM

Along with the x-acto knife, purchase some cinnamon.