Old 09-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Sarah

Default Should I cut leaves open?

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of dendrobiums with new leaves that haven't opened up yet.
Essentially, the leaves remain sealed tubes. Should I cut these open with a
knife, or should I let nature take its course? Doing the latter may result
in the next leaf not growing properly.

Advice would be appreciated!

Sarah

Old 11-09-2004, 10:50 PM
unknown

In article ,
"Sarah" wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of dendrobiums with new leaves that haven't opened up yet.
Essentially, the leaves remain sealed tubes. Should I cut these open with a
knife, or should I let nature take its course? Doing the latter may result
in the next leaf not growing properly.

Advice would be appreciated!

Sarah

well, i don't know if this is the right or wrong thing to do, but i
nudge them open, usually just using my fingers or the edge of a
fingernail... nothing's died yet, but then, neither do they bloom. ;-)

--j_a
Old 12-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Sarah

I've tried to nudge them open, too, but they're so sealed shut that the
leaves sometimes tear. :-(

I think it might be time to buy an x-acto knife.

Thanks j_a!

Sarah

Old 12-09-2004, 07:47 PM
danny

If you're growing the plants inside your house like I am and you only water
the base of the plant, you may need to start watering the leaves as well to
help dissolve the stuff that keeps the new leaves sticking together (just
stick it in the shower occasionally). Raising the humidity can be a big
help. Be very careful if you cut them open, it's tough to only cut what you
want to, there is often some collateral damage when I try stuff like that.

-danny

Old 13-09-2004, 12:32 AM

Along with the x-acto knife, purchase some cinnamon.

old bluebell, tulip, daffodil foliage - to cut or not to cut?! redtail Gardening 2 04-06-2008 07:24 PM
Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last O My Garden[_2_] Gardening 0 14-09-2007 06:40 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM