Old 18-09-2004, 08:12 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Paph Magic Lantern

I got the Paph in a trade about 2 years ago. At the time of the trade, the
Paph had 3 growths and the leaves were leathery, thick and a very dark
(almost blue) green color. One growth just finished a bloom and two young
growths one slightly bigger than the other at the time of the trade. Fast
forward two years, the original growth that was done blooming when I picked
it up is yellowing, the leaves are drying out. One of the younger growths
is almost mature with 6 leaves on it (3 on each side) and the second growth
is maybe 1/2" larger than when I originally observed it. No signs of
flowering. The roots are nice and thick, beige and kind of hairy . It
lives with other mottled leaf Paphs under shadey conditions (no direct light
at all, about 5 feet from western exposure). In the summers I water more
often, I feed at a 1/2 of the recommended rate, the temps are around 72-74F
during the day and about 68F at night, but no flowers, and if it grows any
slower, I will have great grandchildren before it blooms! Other mottled
leaved Paphs, are flowering, yet this one is pouting.

Tell me what I'm doing wrong, does it need lower temperature at night?

Mariana

Old 19-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Dewitt

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:12:23 GMT, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote:

[...]

I hope someone with experience offer some advice. I only have one
parvi hybrid (Paph. Lynleigh Koopowitz) which is also is slow growing
- and it's supposed to be one of the easiest to grow. It finally
bloomed for me last spring, but the new growth it's putting out isn't
going to set any land speed records. You might find
http://www.ladyslipper.com/0201-04.htm interesting, if probably not
very helpful for you.

deg
Old 22-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Michael Wright

My experience with parvis shows that they like warmth & moisture during the
summer and very cool & evenly moist w/ slight drying during the winter.
Down into the 50s at night during the winter seems to do more good than
harm. The seem to like medium light, but a little morning sun seems to do
them good. Also, try cutting back on the fertilizer (maybe 1/4 strength or
less) and add a little calcium to the water if you don't water with hard-
ish water. Parvis are definately not like other mottled-leaved paphs!

My armeniacum has gone from 1 growth, which bloomed for me as a single
growth plant, to 8 blooming-sized growths in 4 years (bloomed once since
the first flowering). Looking forward to this one when it blooms again.

My micranthum, Lynleigh Koopowitz, Wossner's Pearl, and (micranthum x
concolor) all respond well to this treatment, too. The (micranthum x
concolor) is spiking right now. When I bought it, it had an incredibly
deep solid purple flower. Hoping it does the same this time.

Mike

Grevillea -6039'Magic Lantern'-(G.crithmifolia x G. thelemiana) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 4 04-08-2012 08:21 AM
Gevillea "Magic Lantern" -5789 (G.crithmifolia x G. thelemiana) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 3 17-06-2012 07:36 AM
Gevillea "Magic Lantern" -5788 (G.crithmifolia x G. thelemiana) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 12-06-2012 05:27 AM
Paph Magic Lantern GrlIntrpted Orchids 0 18-09-2004 08:12 PM
Paph Magic Lantern GrlIntrpted Orchids 0 18-09-2004 08:12 PM