GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mule Eared Oncid (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/85475-mule-eared-oncid.html)

Gene Schurg 25-10-2004 02:08 AM

Mule Eared Oncid

Do the Mule Eared Oncidiums need a winter rest? Dry? Cool?

Mine haven't bloomed in the two years I've had them and they are blooming
size.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gene

V_coerulea 26-10-2004 12:10 AM

It's been my experience that the mule eared oncidiums like it dryer in
winter. But I think as far as blooming is concerned, it's the amount of
light that makes the difference. I grow them in small (compared to plant
size) clay pots with excellent draining mix and give them enough sun to put
some red or maroon into the leaves. Mine are blooming or coming into bloom
now here in SC and have every year for the past 4 years. Drainage is the key
to keeping them alive while sun is the key to blooming.
Gary

.net...

Gene Schurg 26-10-2004 04:28 PM

Gary,

Thanks for the advise. My plants seem to be healthy and clean. They grow
very vigorously. I repotted them this summer to a larger pot because they
were climbing out of their 6" pots.

I give them all the light I can supply in the sunniest corner of the
greenhouse. I'll keep watching for that first spike.

Good growing,
Gene

.. .