Old 25-10-2004, 02:08 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Mule Eared Oncid

Do the Mule Eared Oncidiums need a winter rest? Dry? Cool?

Mine haven't bloomed in the two years I've had them and they are blooming
size.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gene

Old 26-10-2004, 12:10 AM
V_coerulea

It's been my experience that the mule eared oncidiums like it dryer in
winter. But I think as far as blooming is concerned, it's the amount of
light that makes the difference. I grow them in small (compared to plant
size) clay pots with excellent draining mix and give them enough sun to put
some red or maroon into the leaves. Mine are blooming or coming into bloom
now here in SC and have every year for the past 4 years. Drainage is the key
to keeping them alive while sun is the key to blooming.
Gary

news

Old 26-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Gene Schurg

Gary,

Thanks for the advise. My plants seem to be healthy and clean. They grow
very vigorously. I repotted them this summer to a larger pot because they
were climbing out of their 6" pots.

I give them all the light I can supply in the sunniest corner of the
greenhouse. I'll keep watching for that first spike.

Good growing,
Gene

.. .

Mule Eared Oncid Gene Schurg Orchids 0 25-10-2004 02:08 AM
S/H question : mule-ear oncidiums danny Orchids 2 04-10-2004 11:09 PM
S/H question : mule-ear oncidiums danny Orchids 0 04-10-2004 09:25 PM
RED EARED SLIDER Mainpin Ponds 4 07-06-2003 08:44 PM
Sick Red eared Slider Rhino Ponds 2 08-04-2003 07:56 PM