Old 08-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Casey Wilson

Default Slightly off-topic -- Greenhouses

Hello,

Up front, I'm an orchid admirer but not a grower. I've tried a couple
of times, but up here in the north end of California's share of the Mojave
Desert, it ain't an easy task. Mostly I end up driving over to the left
coast every year or so and buying a few plants from the commercial growers.
What I am searching for are knowledgeable folks about greenhouses. I
searched through the newsgroups available on my GTE/Verizon ISP server and
can't find any reference. I figure that more than one or two of you folks
must have greenhouses attached to the house or over in the back yard.
My back yard is 2 1/2 acres of excellent drainage. I'm doodling around
with various sketches for a covered sun-pit. My rationale for digging the
greenhouse in has to do with the climate extremes AND the ferocious winds we
occasionally experience. Our record low temperature was +5F in December,
1993; high was 121F but I don't recall the year; every spring we have spells
of winds in excess of 40MPH with gusts over 50, sometimes lasting for days.
I figure having the bottom five or six feet of the greehouse below
grade level shields me from the wind to some degree and the natural
insulation of the ground helps keep the inside atmosphere stable. I've lots
of other details about evaporative cooling, humidity control, passive solar
heating (and cooling), yadda, yadda. The greenhouse will be multi-purpose;
including flowers, edibles, and bonsai.
I've found great resources for materials and ideas over the span of the
internet, inlcuding materials and reading material. But sometimes it helps
to dialog with live people.
I promise not to be offended if you tell me to go away.

Regards,

Casey Wilson
Freelance Writer and Photographer