GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cold Treatments (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/86447-cold-treatments.html)

David Adolph 14-11-2004 06:22 PM

Cold Treatments

I am new to growing orchids and to newsgroups as well. I have read in a
recent post here of something called "cold treatments". Could anyone tell me
what these are, and do they help orchids to produce blooms?

Reka 14-11-2004 06:49 PM

Phals, for example, generally need to have a marked drop in temperature of about
10°F between day and night in order to bloom.
Others like Cymbidiums do also, but I, not being a Cym grower, am not sure in
this case if it is an absolute temperature (like at least down to 40°F) or also
a temperature drop that they need.
Even others, such as Cypripediums, which grow in temperate climates need a frost
in order to bloom.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"David Adolph" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am new to growing orchids and to newsgroups as well. I have read in a
recent post here of something called "cold treatments". Could anyone tell me
what these are, and do they help orchids to produce blooms?

---

Mike 14-11-2004 07:14 PM

From what I understand about phal cold treatments, your plant needs to
be placed somewhere cooler over night (or for a few hours) to initiate
a spike.

I got my first phal last Christmas. My daytime home temp where the
phal is growing is about 22C/72F. I simply opened a window and placed
it next to it and made sure that the temp didn't go below 12C/54F. I
did this for about 3 weeks with no visible changes. After a week of
"giving up", I noticed a spike emerging from the plant.

I also have been giving the plant 10-60-10 fertilizer to boost it's
flower power. :-)

Try it. It may or may not work.

Mike

http://www.usenet.com

wendy7 14-11-2004 09:01 PM

I also heard this for some Paphiopedilums, the hard leafed ones???

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply