Old 14-11-2004, 06:22 PM
David Adolph

Default Cold Treatments

I am new to growing orchids and to newsgroups as well. I have read in a
recent post here of something called "cold treatments". Could anyone tell me
what these are, and do they help orchids to produce blooms?

Old 14-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Reka

Phals, for example, generally need to have a marked drop in temperature of about
10°F between day and night in order to bloom.
Others like Cymbidiums do also, but I, not being a Cym grower, am not sure in
this case if it is an absolute temperature (like at least down to 40°F) or also
a temperature drop that they need.
Even others, such as Cypripediums, which grow in temperate climates need a frost
in order to bloom.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"David Adolph" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am new to growing orchids and to newsgroups as well. I have read in a
recent post here of something called "cold treatments". Could anyone tell me
what these are, and do they help orchids to produce blooms?

---

Old 14-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Mike

From what I understand about phal cold treatments, your plant needs to
be placed somewhere cooler over night (or for a few hours) to initiate
a spike.

I got my first phal last Christmas. My daytime home temp where the
phal is growing is about 22C/72F. I simply opened a window and placed
it next to it and made sure that the temp didn't go below 12C/54F. I
did this for about 3 weeks with no visible changes. After a week of
"giving up", I noticed a spike emerging from the plant.

I also have been giving the plant 10-60-10 fertilizer to boost it's
flower power. :-)

Try it. It may or may not work.

Mike

http://www.usenet.com

Old 14-11-2004, 09:01 PM
wendy7

I also heard this for some Paphiopedilums, the hard leafed ones???

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Reka wrote:
Phals, for example, generally need to have a marked drop in
temperature of about 10°F between day and night in order to bloom.
Others like Cymbidiums do also, but I, not being a Cym grower, am not
sure in this case if it is an absolute temperature (like at least
down to 40°F) or also a temperature drop that they need.
Even others, such as Cypripediums, which grow in temperate climates
need a frost in order to bloom.

"David Adolph" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am new to growing orchids and to newsgroups as well. I have read
in a recent post here of something called "cold treatments". Could
anyone tell me what these are, and do they help orchids to produce
blooms?

---

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
Permangenate treatments Bill Stock Ponds 3 20-08-2005 03:50 AM
Cold Treatments David Adolph Orchids 0 14-11-2004 06:22 PM
Fungicides and other treatments Mr Blue Skye United Kingdom 0 11-07-2004 10:03 PM
Fusarium treatments Otto Jones Edible Gardening 0 15-02-2004 01:02 PM