GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Semi-hyro, phrags, poor water (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/86715-semi-hyro-phrags-poor-water.html)

Dewitt 21-11-2004 02:15 AM

Semi-hyro, phrags, poor water

I've been avoiding phrags due to the high mineral level of local tap
water, but wonder if semi-hydro culture would help compensate for
that. Or maybe it would make the problem worse. Anybody have any
thoughts on growing phrags in high mineral level water?

deg

Dave S 21-11-2004 03:48 PM

Phrags LOVE semi-hydro. Before I started using RO I used to grow them
in very hard water with no problems, but I did flush the pots through
monthly with distilled. It might depend on the exact chemical
breakdown of your water. Most Phrags like plenty of calcium.
Dave

Dewitt 21-11-2004 04:56 PM

On 21 Nov 2004 07:48:52 -0800, (Dave S) wrote:

Phrags LOVE semi-hydro. Before I started using RO I used to grow them
in very hard water with no problems, but I did flush the pots through
monthly with distilled. It might depend on the exact chemical
breakdown of your water. Most Phrags like plenty of calcium.
Dave

The Austin area has a lot of limestone, so our water is high in
calcium so that might work in my favor. I'll have to try a phrag or
two.

deg

Anvy Owens 21-11-2004 05:25 PM

Does Path's also do well in s/h??

Mimi

Ray 21-11-2004 05:48 PM

If you mean paphs (paphiopedilums), absolutely! The original
experimentation in the development of semi-hydroponics was done with paphs.

..
"Anvy Owens" wrote in message
.. .
Does Path's also do well in s/h??

Mimi

RPM1 30-11-2004 12:38 PM

Anvy Owens
Does Path's also do well in s/h??

Do you mean Paphs? If so, mine are loving s/h!
So does every other orchid here. s/h rocks!
pun intended

Ruth CM