GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Attn Zygo growers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/90149-attn-zygo-growers.html)

Reka 23-02-2005 08:28 AM

Attn Zygo growers

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car years
ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't even
developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems to be
sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so I figure
the roots are okay. Or should I check?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Ray 23-02-2005 10:45 AM

Sounds pretty normal, Reka. In my experience, the rhizome elongates, then
seems to turn upward where the new bulb will eventually be, then it grows up
and forms new leaves. Once those new leaves get reasonably substantial in
size, the pseudobulb will fatten.

Incidentally, if you get the urge to transplant it to S/H culture (where it
will do great), be sure that rhizome stays at the surface, not submerged, or
it will rot for sure.

Wendy 23-02-2005 02:28 PM

Do you mean like a keiki grows ? I haven't seen that on mine? I would
check the roots as they seem to rot easily.
Remove peterpan for email reply

Cheers Wendy

Reka 23-02-2005 03:31 PM

Reka wrote:

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car
years ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't
even developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems
to be sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so
I figure the roots are okay. Or should I check?

No, they just look funny. I am posting a photo over at abpo.

Reka 23-02-2005 03:31 PM

Ray wrote:
Sounds pretty normal, Reka. In my experience, the rhizome elongates, then
seems to turn upward where the new bulb will eventually be, then it grows up
and forms new leaves. Once those new leaves get reasonably substantial in
size, the pseudobulb will fatten.

Incidentally, if you get the urge to transplant it to S/H culture (where it
will do great), be sure that rhizome stays at the surface, not submerged, or
it will rot for sure.

Ray, have a look at the photo I will post on abpo.

Wendy 23-02-2005 05:03 PM

Reka wrote:

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car
years ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't
even developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems
to be sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so
I figure the roots are okay. Or should I check?

No, they just look funny. I am posting a photo over at abpo.

Ok I looked at your pics & will try to take a pic of one of mine.

TU 24-02-2005 02:09 AM

Reka wrote in message ...
My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car years
ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't even
developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems to be
sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so I figure
the roots are okay. Or should I check?

Would it be possible that the new growths on new growths are flower spikes.
Unlike Cym, Zygo's spikes develop from new growths rather than from mature one.

T.U

Reka 24-02-2005 06:16 AM

Ray wrote:
I did - they look like inflorescences to me...

Thanks, Ray, for the good news!!

Reka 24-02-2005 06:17 AM

TU wrote:
Reka wrote in message ...

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car years
ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't even
developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems to be
sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so I figure
the roots are okay. Or should I check?

Would it be possible that the new growths on new growths are flower spikes.
Unlike Cym, Zygo's spikes develop from new growths rather than from mature one.

T.U

They must be. Didn't know that!
Thanks!