Old 23-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Reka

Default Attn Zygo growers

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car years
ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't even
developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems to be
sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so I figure
the roots are okay. Or should I check?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 23-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Ray

Sounds pretty normal, Reka. In my experience, the rhizome elongates, then
seems to turn upward where the new bulb will eventually be, then it grows up
and forms new leaves. Once those new leaves get reasonably substantial in
size, the pseudobulb will fatten.

Incidentally, if you get the urge to transplant it to S/H culture (where it
will do great), be sure that rhizome stays at the surface, not submerged, or
it will rot for sure.

Old 23-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Wendy

Do you mean like a keiki grows ? I haven't seen that on mine? I would
check the roots as they seem to rot easily.
Remove peterpan for email reply

Cheers Wendy

Old 23-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Reka

Reka wrote:

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car
years ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't
even developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems
to be sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so
I figure the roots are okay. Or should I check?

No, they just look funny. I am posting a photo over at abpo.

Old 23-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Reka

Ray wrote:
Sounds pretty normal, Reka. In my experience, the rhizome elongates, then
seems to turn upward where the new bulb will eventually be, then it grows up
and forms new leaves. Once those new leaves get reasonably substantial in
size, the pseudobulb will fatten.

Incidentally, if you get the urge to transplant it to S/H culture (where it
will do great), be sure that rhizome stays at the surface, not submerged, or
it will rot for sure.

Ray, have a look at the photo I will post on abpo.

Old 23-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Wendy

Reka wrote:

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car
years ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't
even developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems
to be sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so
I figure the roots are okay. Or should I check?

No, they just look funny. I am posting a photo over at abpo.

Ok I looked at your pics & will try to take a pic of one of mine.

Old 24-02-2005, 02:09 AM
TU

Reka wrote in message ...
My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car years
ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't even
developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems to be
sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so I figure
the roots are okay. Or should I check?

Would it be possible that the new growths on new growths are flower spikes.
Unlike Cym, Zygo's spikes develop from new growths rather than from mature one.

T.U
Old 24-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Reka

Ray wrote:
I did - they look like inflorescences to me...

Thanks, Ray, for the good news!!

Old 24-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Reka

TU wrote:
Reka wrote in message ...

My first Zygo (well, my second; I cooked the first one in the car years
ago) is putting out new growths on new growths which haven't even
developed thickened pseudobulbs yet. Is this normal? It seems to be
sitting firmly in the medium I repotted it into at purchase, so I figure
the roots are okay. Or should I check?

Would it be possible that the new growths on new growths are flower spikes.
Unlike Cym, Zygo's spikes develop from new growths rather than from mature one.

T.U

They must be. Didn't know that!
Thanks!

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Zygo triste 'Deni' closeup V_coerulea Orchid Photos 3 17-01-2008 07:23 PM
Zygo White/Pink Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 27-11-2007 03:23 PM
A Zygo Closeup Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 27-11-2007 04:16 AM
Zygo mackayi again K Barrett Orchids 3 08-02-2005 09:15 PM
Zygo mackaii/mackayi K Barrett Orchids 3 01-02-2005 08:18 PM