Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Wendy

Hey Rob, I am curious, do you have any pics to post on abpo or a url to
see your greenhouse. I remember you discussing building etc.?
Remove peterpan for email reply

Cheers Wendy

Rob Halgren wrote:
keith ;-) wrote:

Rob ,what about a isolation greenhouse:-) or maybe change Robs rules
1, 2 &
2a! :-(

My wife is already having slight ... let us not call them fits, quite
yet ... about the first greenhouse. I think I'm going to have to wait a
while before I build another one. Besides, I still have plenty of room
(there is space under the benches, and from the purlins, and...). No
danger of breaking rule 2. I am starting to run into a few issues with
rule 3, though. Guess I need to sell some.

Rob

Old 09-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Rob Halgren

tennis maynard wrote:
Rob Halgren wrote:

keith ;-) wrote:

Rob ,what about a isolation greenhouse:-) or maybe change Robs rules
1, 2 &
2a! :-(

My wife is already having slight ... let us not call them fits, quite
yet ... about the first greenhouse. I think I'm going to have to wait
a while before I build another one. Besides, I still have plenty of
room (there is space under the benches, and from the purlins,
and...). No danger of breaking rule 2. I am starting to run into a
few issues with rule 3, though. Guess I need to sell some.

Rob

Perhaps Michelle is bribable, Rob...what if you bought her something
REALLY nice just before telling her you need a second greenhouse (lord
only knows how you could; from the pics the thing's enormous and would
hold 7000 - 10000 plants!)?

I think that if I bought her something nice enough to work as a
satisfactory bribe, I wouldn't have any money left to build another
greenhouse... *grin*

It isn't as enormous as it was before I moved it. I think it will hold
4 or 5000 plants at reasonable (not that I'm known for reasonable...)
density.

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 09-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Aaron Hicks

Rob:

I had to do a bit of digging; I ended up calling Mike at "Green
Methods." Their catalog is out of this world, and their website
(www.greenmethods.com) has lots of information, too.

The proper term is a "banker plant." UFL suggests that R. padi
(bird-cherry aphids) on winter barley, S. graminum on winter wheat, and R.
maidis (corn leaf aphid) on sorghum. No idea if any of these guys will
target your crop plants, which (of course) is the biggest consideration.
Moreover, *finding* them for sale is going to be a problem. If you're
lucky and know an entomologist with the state, maybe they can hook you up.

Plenty more on Google using the following search:

"banker plant" IPM

It's a pretty elegant idea, really.

Mike also suggested another technique in which "trap plants" are
used to subvert insect populations to weakened or stressed plants, which
then attract heavier populations of pest-controlling insects, mites, etc.
The stronger, healthier plants in the garden continue to grow unmolested.

I have doubts as to the efficacy of trap plants in orchid
greenhouses, but thought I'd throw that out there for the home gardener in
all of us.

The address in the header doesn't work. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 09-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:
Hey Rob, I am curious, do you have any pics to post on abpo or a url to
see your greenhouse. I remember you discussing building etc.?
Remove peterpan for email reply

http://littlefrogfarm.com

I have more pictures, but they aren't up yet.

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

http://littlefrogfarm.com - Growing the plants Rob likes