Old 25-05-2005, 03:21 AM
bob

Default Is air cirulation very important?

Hi all;

I recently moved a number of my orchids to an enclosed area. It gets
dappled sunligfht from a skylight and has an opening at the top of one
wall which is bout 6 feet wide by about 3 feet high. (it is exposed to
the elements here in Florida [SE] at that point).
The builder gave this area the fancy name of "atrium". The air
cirulation is pretty still in this enclosed area. Important?
Bob

Old 25-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Mick Fournier

Bob,

Yes.

Mick

Old 25-05-2005, 05:44 AM

I think when I use a fan (my orchids are in my bedroom) it really
helps to keep the room from getting too hot......Burr

Old 25-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Ray

Most - if not all - orchids do best in what is sometimes described as a
"buoyant" atmosphere, one that is marked by refreshing, moderately moist
breezes.

Not only that, but constant air movement tends to help fend off botrytis
fungal spotting on your flowers.

A fan or two (depending on how big the area is) running 24/7 ought to do
fine. No indoor hurricanes necessary, a gentle, discernable breeze is
sufficient.

oups.com...

Old 25-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Al

Both fungus spores and bacterial spores require still air, water and
descending temperatures to begin their growth process into the plant tissue.
If you can remove one of these conditions by keeping the air moving so the
spores can not settle in place long enough to get their haustoria
(spelling?) into the plant tissue, then you reduce significantly the chances
of fungus and bacteria problems.

For the above reason, if you mist your plants make sure they dry quickly
especially around dusk when temperatures are generally falling. When the
lights go out and the leaf temperature start to drop, the leave should be
dry. Air movement is important at all times, but especially when the other
two conditions are in place.

Damp surface, cooling temperatures and still air equals blacks spots and
mushy rots.

Fans run in my greenhouse 24 hours a day 7 days a week.