GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/95785-how-long.html)

boothbay 13-06-2005 01:39 AM

How long?

I bought a moth orchid that came with 2 flowers, white about a month
ago. All was going well until i spotted one of the flowers curling
within itself. It looked it was finally fading. I notice also that
little thing that where another bulb should emerge, don't know what its
called. its only about a 1/4 inch long. Looks like it would take a long
time before I should get a bulb there. Possibly by that time the other
flower will succumb and all I would show for it is a stem about a foot
tall with no flowers. is this typical of this plant? Am I only suppose
to get 2 flowers at a time? BTW, I fertilized this with 1/4 strength of
Miracle gro.

[email protected] 13-06-2005 02:11 AM

Yep all is well. You might get a side branch off the initial stem
(spike). Next time it blooms it probably will have more flowers as well
Tell us where you keep it and how you treat it.....Burr
I can't quite make out what the 1/4 of an inch is located so don't know
what your plant is doing. Read these and empty the drip tray out..

www.Robert-bedard.com/orchids/phal_culture
www,imagine123.com/orchidtips

boothbay 13-06-2005 01:43 PM

wrote:
Yep all is well. You might get a side branch off the initial stem
(spike). Next time it blooms it probably will have more flowers as well
Tell us where you keep it and how you treat it.....Burr
I can't quite make out what the 1/4 of an inch is located so don't know
what your plant is doing. Read these and empty the drip tray out..

www.Robert-bedard.com/orchids/phal_culture
www,imagine123.com/orchidtips

HI, thanks for the info. As u can tell I'm a novice at this plant. The
plant is on top of pebbled watered tray, not touching the pebbles at
all. That was my first mistake on another plant that I killed. (how did
u know I had it on a tray, and why empty the drip tray out? Shouldn't it
lie on such a tray for humidity? I have it facing a north east bright
window. The temp reads around 84 degrees. I am not familiar of what some
of the parts called. The 1/4 long is just above where I took off the
faded flower. In fact its protruding just at the node of the remaining
flower.Just what is that called? Anyhow, it seems like a slow grower.
The pot is in a 4" clay, which in itself is in another clear plastic
pot.Why the inner pot? I just watered and fertilized saturday. Lowes
sells them that way. At the rim of the pot are 4 large 'leaves'. I tried
to stick my finger, a pencil into the 'soil'..it seems dry...already? I
killed one such plant by overwatering, and would not like to do that
again. I have an overhead fan rotating most of the day, mainly because
we're going through a medium heat wave here in NYC. and I do see the
remaining flower moving in the slight breeze.

Reka 13-06-2005 05:28 PM

boothbay schrieb:
wrote:

Anyhow, it seems like a slow grower.
The pot is in a 4" clay, which in itself is in another clear plastic
pot.

Try to fit a finger between the clay pot and the plastic pot at each
side of the plant. If a finger fits on each side, that's great. If not,
the clay pot is too small, the plant isn't getting the air circulation
it needs. get it out of there or get it at least into a bigger one. That
way it will also dry out faster.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

[email protected] 14-06-2005 06:33 AM

Yep, I wouldn't want mine in two pots either. You need to look at
the roots anyway. I plant mine in sphagnum moss. If you have a hole in
the bottom of a pot that leaks out into a pebble tray that's great--what
you don't want is a saucer right underneath the pot that holds water all
the time-see the difference? As for watering, water it when it's dry
not by so many days in between. Your doing right by the fan-it evens
out the temperature of the room. The stem that comes up is the spike,
what your experiencing is a branch off of that spike that will bloom
again. Be careful, give it support if it needs it-I use pipe cleaners
off the stick support that should be along your spike. Good luck...Burr