Old 13-06-2005, 01:39 AM
boothbay

Default How long?

I bought a moth orchid that came with 2 flowers, white about a month
ago. All was going well until i spotted one of the flowers curling
within itself. It looked it was finally fading. I notice also that
little thing that where another bulb should emerge, don't know what its
called. its only about a 1/4 inch long. Looks like it would take a long
time before I should get a bulb there. Possibly by that time the other
flower will succumb and all I would show for it is a stem about a foot
tall with no flowers. is this typical of this plant? Am I only suppose
to get 2 flowers at a time? BTW, I fertilized this with 1/4 strength of
Miracle gro.
Old 13-06-2005, 02:11 AM

Yep all is well. You might get a side branch off the initial stem
(spike). Next time it blooms it probably will have more flowers as well
Tell us where you keep it and how you treat it.....Burr
I can't quite make out what the 1/4 of an inch is located so don't know
what your plant is doing. Read these and empty the drip tray out..

www.Robert-bedard.com/orchids/phal_culture
www,imagine123.com/orchidtips

Old 13-06-2005, 01:43 PM
boothbay

Yep all is well. You might get a side branch off the initial stem
(spike). Next time it blooms it probably will have more flowers as well
Tell us where you keep it and how you treat it.....Burr
I can't quite make out what the 1/4 of an inch is located so don't know
what your plant is doing. Read these and empty the drip tray out..

www.Robert-bedard.com/orchids/phal_culture
www,imagine123.com/orchidtips

HI, thanks for the info. As u can tell I'm a novice at this plant. The
plant is on top of pebbled watered tray, not touching the pebbles at
all. That was my first mistake on another plant that I killed. (how did
u know I had it on a tray, and why empty the drip tray out? Shouldn't it
lie on such a tray for humidity? I have it facing a north east bright
window. The temp reads around 84 degrees. I am not familiar of what some
of the parts called. The 1/4 long is just above where I took off the
faded flower. In fact its protruding just at the node of the remaining
flower.Just what is that called? Anyhow, it seems like a slow grower.
The pot is in a 4" clay, which in itself is in another clear plastic
pot.Why the inner pot? I just watered and fertilized saturday. Lowes
sells them that way. At the rim of the pot are 4 large 'leaves'. I tried
to stick my finger, a pencil into the 'soil'..it seems dry...already? I
killed one such plant by overwatering, and would not like to do that
again. I have an overhead fan rotating most of the day, mainly because
we're going through a medium heat wave here in NYC. and I do see the
remaining flower moving in the slight breeze.
Old 14-06-2005, 06:33 AM

Yep, I wouldn't want mine in two pots either. You need to look at
the roots anyway. I plant mine in sphagnum moss. If you have a hole in
the bottom of a pot that leaks out into a pebble tray that's great--what
you don't want is a saucer right underneath the pot that holds water all
the time-see the difference? As for watering, water it when it's dry
not by so many days in between. Your doing right by the fan-it evens
out the temperature of the room. The stem that comes up is the spike,
what your experiencing is a branch off of that spike that will bloom
again. Be careful, give it support if it needs it-I use pipe cleaners
off the stick support that should be along your spike. Good luck...Burr