GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nomenclature (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/96041-nomenclature.html)

boothbay 17-06-2005 01:58 PM

Nomenclature

Is there a web site that can depict the names of each part of an orchid?
Preferably by drawings or photos. I get confused in what is a spike, a
sheath, a cane and etc.

K Barrett 17-06-2005 04:31 PM

boothbay wrote:
Is there a web site that can depict the names of each part of an orchid?
Preferably by drawings or photos. I get confused in what is a spike, a
sheath, a cane and etc.

Not that I can think of of hand, but its a great idea!

K Barrett

tbell 17-06-2005 09:02 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:58:11 -0700, boothbay wrote
(in article ):

Is there a web site that can depict the names of each part of an orchid?
Preferably by drawings or photos. I get confused in what is a spike, a
sheath, a cane and etc.

Haven't found drawings or diagrams, which many basic orchid books contain,
but found a good glossary on the following site of a San Francisco orchid
seller:
http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch.../glossary.html

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Ray 17-06-2005 09:19 PM

I have a diagram of different types of inflorescences...

http://www.firstrays.com/inflorescences.htm