Old 09-03-2003, 01:44 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default Bulb. Vaginatum

I'm having a problem with a Bulb. Vaginatum which I recently
purchased while on a trip to Oahu. The seller advised me that I
should soak the stem on which the four bulbs are attached then try to wrap
it around a tree bark and to hold it in place either with a U pin (Similar
to a staple but designed for plants), or with a fish line w/o cutting into
the roots.

The bubls do not appear to be doing well, they are shriveled and
turning black. I spray the roots daily, I keep it on the Western
side of the house w. no direct sun on it, and it looks like I'm doing
something wrong.

I need assistance, if you would be so kind, I would hate to lose this lovely
plant!

Mariana
NYC 6b

Old 10-03-2003, 12:44 AM
K Barrett

Are you growing in a greenhouse or a windowsill? IMHO any mounted plant
needs lots of ambient humidity in addition to daily watering in order to
thrive. In a house you can't do that easily. So I'd take it off the
mount and put it in a plastic pot in sphagnum moss. Their roots are thin
(but wirey) and as you can see don't have much velamen for water uptake
and or storage. So these will want to have a balance of moisture and air
(note the 'air' portion of the equation) in order to survive. The moss
will want to be kept evenly moist - not wringing wet- the plastic pot
will reduce evaporation - so you can have a life instead of constantly
misting the plant. BUT the plastic pot will also hold the water! Almost
too well. So you will have to 'learn' how and when and how much to water
the plant. Good Luck. Its an interesting journey. I have noticed that
when I over water or underwater or otherwise stress out these Bulbos it
takes about 6 weeks for any change in cultural conditions to show up as
new growths or new roots etc. If you are growing in a greenhouse then
I'd still put it in a pot and probably use a bark mixture and put it
closer to the misters. Perhaps a bit of shade till new roots/growths
appear. (~6wks)

K Barrett