Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 PM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.religion.kibology,alt.permaculture

Default help! English incomprehensible logic :-(

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
On 8 May 2007 03:12:49 -0700, Django Cat
wrote:

On 4 May, 16:36, the Omrud wrote:
had it ...

On Fri, 4 May 2007 12:39:07 +0100, Adam Funk
On 2007-05-04, Django Cat wrote:
In language learning theory 'acquisition' is the process where people
'learn' a language by being exposed to it rather than studying it.
Here's the example I always use:
"It's your first day in a country where you don't speak the language.
You walk up to a door. On the door a word you don't recognise is
written.
. . . in a language that an odd and awkward ordering of words uses.
You attempt to push the door open. You bang your nose on
it. You've just learnt the word 'pull'."
^^^^^^
I just LOVE these erudite, scholarly lectures on the fine points of
language that INEVITABLY contain misspellings. Too funny!
It might be funny if "learnt" were not a perfectly ordinary, everyday
UK spelling, used by my perfectly ordinary everyday UK compatriot Mr
Cat. Some of over here speak pretty good English.

--

Thanks for making that clear, David. I just ran the whole posting
through a spell checker, and still didn't have a clue what the guy was

Yabutt WITCH spell checquer did you ewes? As with dictionaries, all
spell checkers are not created equal.

IFYPFY.

Also: "all are not equal" -or- "not all are equal" ?

AlsoToo: Equal [tm] tastes teh yuck. I prefer sugar, full of sweet
carbohydratey goodness.

--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 PM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.religion.kibology,alt.permaculture

Tonto Goldstein wrote:

Also: "all are not equal" -or- "not all are equal" ?

FOUR LEGS GOOD. TWO LEGS BAD.

JS
Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.religion.kibology,alt.permaculture

John Schmidt filted:

Tonto Goldstein wrote:

Also: "all are not equal" -or- "not all are equal" ?

FOUR LEGS GOOD. TWO LEGS BAD.

Six legs icky...eight legs super-icky....

(Three legs just plain weird)....r

--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"
Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.religion.kibology,alt.permaculture

John Schmidt wrote:
Tonto Goldstein wrote:

Also: "all are not equal" -or- "not all are equal" ?

FOUR LEGS GOOD. TWO LEGS BAD.

The table falls, the coffee spills.

Stella sues. (worst Buddy Holly song EVAR!!1!)

Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.religion.kibology,alt.permaculture

In article ,
Tonto Goldstein wrote:

Also: "all are not equal" -or- "not all are equal" ?

Isn't always isn't always isn't.

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.

English Ivy HELP! chaz Gardening 4 29-05-2004 04:03 AM
English Box dieback - help required James Dawson Australia 0 28-02-2004 03:18 AM