GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Permaculture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/)
-   -   Drought (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/2269-drought.html)

Fran Higham 16-01-2003 09:21 PM

Drought

I was wondering what sort of drought strategies are in use around the place
at the moment.

I'm managing to keep my fruit trees alive and my tomatoes growing relatively
strongly but all the rest is just limping along waiting for rain.

Anyone got some smart ideas out there?

Fran

Janet Baraclough 16-01-2003 11:20 PM

Drought

The message
from "Fran Higham" contains these words:

I was wondering what sort of drought strategies are in use around the place
at the moment.

I'm managing to keep my fruit trees alive and my tomatoes growing relatively
strongly but all the rest is just limping along waiting for rain.

Anyone got some smart ideas out there?

Have you got your fruit tree roots mulched..old carpet, or stones? Can
you redirect the shower/bath water outflow pipe to the tomato patch?

A place where we stayed hadn't much water, so they asked people to
economise on lav flushing
with a little sign in the bathroom that said "If it's brown, flush it
down, but if it's yellow, let it mellow".You can also reduce the flush
quantity by putting a brick inside the cistern.

Janet