Old 06-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Izzy

Default design principles

I attended an excellent introduction to permaculture a the Big Green
Gathering, which made me realise just how straight-forward and
'obvious' permaculture is. In particular, I remember a method by which
a permaculture garden can be designed by first setting out desired and
secondary inputs and outputs and using this to generate ideas by which
links throughout the garden can be found. The result being that
nothing was wasted and few inputs were required. I may have
misinterpreted this method, and I would like to revisit this idea -
not only for garden design but for other aspects of life! I have had a
look round the internet for links, but haven't found one that explains
this method to me.

Please, would some either describe the method to me, or tell me a
suitable link or book.

Most grateful for any advice!
Izzy
Old 17-10-2003, 01:22 PM
pete

"Izzy" wrote in message
om...
Hmm, have I not stated the problem clearly enough? I think this is
the right forum, and this is a genuine question. I get the impression
that this method of determining the complete set of outputs and inputs
and linking them all was sort of standard. I may be wrong...

Izz

(Izzy) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

Ever get the feeling ya talking to yerself Izzy?
Yeah I'm married too .....

The principle you mentioned is fundamental to PC, not just in gardening but
in all aspects, realising and identifying the available inputs and then
utilising them to produce the desired output(s).

All Bill Mollison's books and those co written with other authors are great
reading but if you are looking for a straightforward intro book I would
recommend 'Introduction to Permaculture' (Mollison and Slay) Tagari press.

There is a book called 'a designers manual' an excellent book but heavy
going especially if you are new to the concept.
I haven't read that many PC books, Mollison has some videos out which you
would probably find interesting.

One of the most important elements in PC IMO is /are animals (which I am
sadly lacking at the moment), they add so many dimensions to any PC system
Permaculture isn't complete without them, of course they don't ALL have to
be
domesticated ones, but PC systems evolve as you have noticed

"designed by first setting out desired and secondary inputs and outputs and
using this to generate ideas by which links throughout the garden can be
found"

When animals are added to the mix things really start to get interesting.

It's a big subject Izzy and addictive too

Have fun
Pete

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 28-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Izzy

"pete" wrote in message ...
"Izzy" wrote in message
om...
Hmm, have I not stated the problem clearly enough? I think this is
the right forum, and this is a genuine question. I get the impression
that this method of determining the complete set of outputs and inputs
and linking them all was sort of standard. I may be wrong...

Izz

(Izzy) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

Thank you Pete,
Yes I was starting to get that feeling. Your recommendations are
really helpful, as are your comments! The book is a little pricey, I
will see if some fool is selling it second hand...
Izz
Old 30-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Judanne

Izzy,

Have you tried David Holmgren's site? http://www.holmgren.com.au/index.html

More specifically his essence of permaculture page which lists the 12 design
principles? http://www.holmgren.com.au/essence.html

Judanne
Tasmania