Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
elisabeth risius

Default Phytohormones

Dear community,

we are assembling information for a popular scientific
article on the future perspectives of the use of
phytphormones in plant breeding and agriculture within
our quarterly publication from the BioTech Region
Munich.

Since the success of the green revolution largely
resulted from the creation of dwarf cultivars of wheat
and rice, which had much higher yields than
conventional crops; and characterization of these
dwarf cultivars showed that the mutant genes were
involved in either the synthesis or signaling of
gibberellin; we would like to find out from you
experts what potential for practical breeding is
existing with respect to the other phytohormones,
especially auxin and ethylene. - Which developmental
processes regulated by these two and the other
phytohormones might be beneficial for modern
agriculture (dwarfism, flowering, fruit development,
seed size, etc.)?

- And are there any mutants in Arabidopsis or even
crop species known that are defect in the
biosynthesis, transport, signaling of one of these
hormones and show phenotypes with potential regarding
these aspects?

These questions might seem trivial for the hormone
people of you, but a -non-expert like me would greatly
appreciate your help with these questions.

Thanks a lot,

Elisabeth M. Risius

Elisabeth M. Risius
BioTech Region Munich