Old 19-09-2009, 08:17 AM posted to bionet.plants

Default Bigger alder seeds and unusual cones

10 Cambridge Avenue
Forest Hall
Newcastle -upon - Tyne
NE12 8AR

0191 266 6435

I have already told you about my project to develop alder (Alnus) as a
grain crop. But alder seeds are very small and so I want bigger ones.
It is now getting to the time of year to go looking for them.

I want bigger seeds. Seeds are normally hard to see in the cones, if
you know of a systematic way of looking for bigger seeds I would love
to know of it. But if the seeds are really big, the overlapping
pattern of the scales of the cones might be distorted. I would be very
grateful for anything you can find.

I would like:-

Cuttings.
Cuttings keep the combination of genes which produced that effect.

Seeds.
Yes, obviously.

Statement of where the tree is,
Map reference
GPS coordinates
You take me to see the tree.

I am running this project like an "Open source" computer project. My
strains and the finished breed will be available to all.

I will be away for a month. My nephew is marrying a Nepali girl in
Kathmandu, and I am going to the wedding. I have been told to expect
"heroic eating and drinking" and after that, a a walk in "the hills" -
the Himalays!

Enjoy the "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness"

Michael Bell