Old 17-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Malcolm Manners

Default Another African root parasite

Thanks again, Mel Turner, for identifying my Thonningia sanguinea.

Here's another puzzler -- found in the Springbok area of Namaqualand,
South Africa. I'm thinking perhaps Cytinus sanguineus, in Cytinaceae,
but can find only photos of pistillate flowers, and these are staminate.
Descriptions do say the "staminal column sticks out of the flower."
But I'm guessing here.

Anyone know for sure? thanks.

Malcolm Manners
Florida Southern College

http://members.aol.com/mmmavocado/Cytinus.jpg
Old 17-10-2005, 05:37 PM
mel turner

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message

Thanks again, Mel Turner, for identifying my Thonningia sanguinea.

Here's another puzzler -- found in the Springbok area of Namaqualand,
South Africa. I'm thinking perhaps Cytinus sanguineus, in Cytinaceae, but
can find only photos of pistillate flowers, and these are staminate.
Descriptions do say the "staminal column sticks out of the flower." But
I'm guessing here.

Anyone know for sure? thanks.

I don't know for sure, but I get an impression of a "scroph"-like
tubular corolla in your photograph.

Perhaps it's Hyobanche sanguinea? [botanists seem fond of naming
red-flowered S. African parasites "sanguinea" and "sanguineus"]

This looks pretty similar to yours:
http://www.parasiticplants.siu.edu/S...che_sang1.JPEG

partly excavated:
http://www.parasiticplants.siu.edu/S...che_sang2.JPEG

cheers

Old 17-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Malcolm Manners

mel turner wrote:
[...]

Thanks again Mel. You beat me to it -- I was just about to reply to
myself here, that I found a Hyobanche (in South frican Wild Flower Guide
I: Namaqualand) that looks a lot like it. And here was your post.
Malcolm
Old 30-06-2008, 04:54 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

They look like typical seed pods/fruits of a Stapeliad. Its the right
provenance and could be a Sarcocaulon. Definitely isn't Hyobanche or
Scrophulariaceae and I doubt very much if it's parasitic.

Phil

Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Phil, I wonder if the link has gotten changed? (I can't get there --
it says the post has expired) The photos of Hyobanche sanguinea in
"Namaqualand South African Wild Flower Guide 1" are virtually identical
to mine. I'm quite sure Mel is right.

As for Sarcocaulon -- a stapeliad? I thought it was Geraniaceae?

Malcolm

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Phil, I've not been able to get back to the links to the original
photos, so I've re-posted them. they may be seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmmavoc...7604121203597/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmmavoc...7604121203597/

Are these what you were seeing?