Old 23-02-2006, 10:03 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
BrugsRus

Default Question on self-incompatable flowers

I have found several sites which mention how a flower stops it's own pollen
from fertilizing it, but none mention if this same flower can accept pollen
from a compatible plant while holding back it's own pollen.

In other words, if pollinated with it's own pollen, will the bloom die, or
is it still accepting of a 2nd pollen? Solanaceae is the family in question,
Brugmansia specifically.

Rumor has it that the breeding potential of the bloom is ruined if self
pollinated, and yet the pistil is often located among or behind the pollen
bearing anthers, which is a very poor design if this is the case. I don't
think nature would be so careless, but .....?

Old 24-02-2006, 04:14 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Brugmansia will only accept the first pollination.
This is why great care must be taken while harvesting pollen bearing
anthers if you intend to use the same flower as a pod parent.
Shirley

Old 24-02-2006, 10:16 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
BrugsRus

"BrugsRus" wrote in message
I have found several sites which mention how a flower stops it's own pollen
from fertilizing it, but none mention if this same flower can accept pollen
from a compatible plant while holding back it's own pollen.

In other words, if pollinated with it's own pollen, will the bloom die, or
is it still accepting of a 2nd pollen? Solanaceae is the family in
question, Brugmansia specifically.

Rumor has it that the breeding potential of the bloom is ruined if self
pollinated, and yet the pistil is often located among or behind the pollen
bearing anthers, which is a very poor design if this is the case. I don't
think nature would be so careless, but .....?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Brugmansia will only accept the first pollination.
This is why great care must be taken while harvesting pollen bearing
anthers if you intend to use the same flower as a pod parent.
Shirley

No disrespect intended to the poster, but I am looking for something more
substantial than a statement?

Can anyone please direct me to a reputable (scientific) site where
information on this general topic can be found? (Not one of the collectors
groups please; Fanciers groups are indeed pleasant and useful in many ways,
but have the occasional tendency to accept un substantiated claims as
botanical fact).

Old 05-03-2006, 08:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

This info was taught to me by my mentor Monika Gottschalk a world
renowned breeder of brugmansia.

You can visit her site http://www.monika-gottschalk.de/

She is a very kind and generous person and will surely answer your
questions. It is getting close to her busy season but for now she is
snowed in and should be able to answer you.

Cheers from here ,
Shirley in USA

BrugsRus wrote:
"BrugsRus" wrote in message
I have found several sites which mention how a flower stops it's own pollen
from fertilizing it, but none mention if this same flower can accept pollen
from a compatible plant while holding back it's own pollen.

In other words, if pollinated with it's own pollen, will the bloom die, or
is it still accepting of a 2nd pollen? Solanaceae is the family in
question, Brugmansia specifically.

Rumor has it that the breeding potential of the bloom is ruined if self
pollinated, and yet the pistil is often located among or behind the pollen
bearing anthers, which is a very poor design if this is the case. I don't
think nature would be so careless, but .....?

oups.com...

Old 08-03-2006, 05:57 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
BrugsRus

. com...

"BrugsRus" wrote in message

"BrugsRus" wrote in message
I have found several sites which mention how a flower stops it's own
pollen from fertilizing it, but none mention if this same flower can
accept pollen from a compatible plant while holding back it's own pollen.

In other words, if pollinated with it's own pollen, will the bloom die,
or is it still accepting of a 2nd pollen? Solanaceae is the family in
question, Brugmansia specifically.

Rumor has it that the breeding potential of the bloom is ruined if self
pollinated, and yet the pistil is often located among or behind the
pollen bearing anthers, which is a very poor design if this is the case.
I don't think nature would be so careless, but .....?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Brugmansia will only accept the first pollination.
This is why great care must be taken while harvesting pollen bearing
anthers if you intend to use the same flower as a pod parent.
Shirley

No disrespect intended to the poster, but I am looking for something more
substantial than a statement?

Can anyone please direct me to a reputable (scientific) site where
information on this general topic can be found? (Not one of the
collectors groups please; Fanciers groups are indeed pleasant and useful
in many ways, but have the occasional tendency to accept un substantiated
claims as botanical fact).

Thank you. While I did not find the answer there ($75 membership required)
I did find additional leads which show this rumor to be false, since the
pollen tubes of self grains are not even allowed to reach the ovary, while
other grains which are deposited within the acceptable time frame are
allowed to grow as usual.
A brief piece from
http://pbi-ibp.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/en/bul...sue1/page6.htm explains it
in perhaps the easiest terms of the many pages I was referred to;

"During a compatible pollination event, pollen grains that have landed on
the stigmatic surface at the top of the pistil will adhere to the stigmatic
cells, hydrate, germinate and form pollen tubes. The actively growing pollen
tubes are often capable of penetrating the stigmatic cell walls to grow down
through the style and finally reach the ovary to deliver sperm for
fertilization. In self-incompatible pollen-pistil interactions, many of
these steps may be blocked following the recognition of self-pollen. As a
result, this response prevents inbreeding and promotes out-crossing between
unrelated individual plants (reviewed in Lord and Russell, 2002)."

To the first poster, Thank you, but the link did not work. Your friend may
have assumed this to be the case from her own experience in her garden, but
it is better to study from the science of many, than the experience of one.