Old 03-06-2006, 04:03 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Plant ID

Hi, I took this picture in N.E. Florida about 20 miles inland from the
coast along side a small river. Can anyone identify the species.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/CRW_6773.jpg

TIA

Old 03-06-2006, 01:09 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Philip Wright

wrote:
Hi, I took this picture in N.E. Florida about 20 miles inland from the
coast along side a small river. Can anyone identify the species.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/CRW_6773.jpg

TIA

The flower looks like Cephalanthus occidentalis. Do you
have a picture of the leaves?

-Philip
Old 03-06-2006, 03:10 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Philip Wright wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I took this picture in N.E. Florida about 20 miles inland from the
coast along side a small river. Can anyone identify the species.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/CRW_6773.jpg

TIA

The flower looks like Cephalanthus occidentalis. Do you
have a picture of the leaves?

-Philip

Hey thanks Phil!

That was the right one. I goodled it and it was a perfect match. Next
time I will make sure to get wider pics of plants I don't know to aid
in the ID.

Thanks!

york

Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Malcolm Manners

wrote:
Philip Wright wrote:

wrote:

Hi, I took this picture in N.E. Florida about 20 miles inland from the
coast along side a small river. Can anyone identify the species.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/CRW_6773.jpg

TIA

The flower looks like Cephalanthus occidentalis. Do you
have a picture of the leaves?

-Philip

Hey thanks Phil!

That was the right one. I goodled it and it was a perfect match. Next
time I will make sure to get wider pics of plants I don't know to aid
in the ID.

Thanks!

york

One of the interesting aspects of identifying Cephalanthus is its habit
of changing its method of leaf attachment from branch to branch. You'll
find alternate, opposite, and whorled (usually 3s) branches all on the
same plant.