Old 05-09-2006, 04:03 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Plant ID ?

Could someone please tell me what this is :

http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0636.JPG
http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0637.JPG (mature flower)

the flower seems to have 12 styles/sigmas and a lot of stamen,
that seem only to differentiate in a mature flowers.

5 petals
2 x 5 sepals
leafs stand singel on the stem
plant 2 ft high (60 cm)
No woody parts.

petals have dark purple veins and lighter purple borders.
on other plants, the border of the petal may be almost white.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Osiris
writes
Could someone please tell me what this is :

http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0636.JPG
http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0637.JPG (mature flower)

the flower seems to have 12 styles/sigmas and a lot of stamen,
that seem only to differentiate in a mature flowers.

5 petals
2 x 5 sepals
leafs stand singel on the stem
plant 2 ft high (60 cm)
No woody parts.

petals have dark purple veins and lighter purple borders.
on other plants, the border of the petal may be almost white.

Malva sylvestris. Neither looks like a pure seed strain, but the first
flower bears resemblances to the Mauritiana group, and the second to
'Zebrina'. (I could being misled by the darkness of the photograph.)

If you look again at the flowers you should find one ring of 3 (not 5)
bracteoles (epicalyx) and one ring of 5 sepals (calyx).

The number of stamens is variable in Malva sylvestris (I've got one
plant which is estaminate or nearly so), but the general run have more
stamens than your image.

I have yet counted mericarps for a wide variety of accessions but I've
been getting more counts of 10 than 12 (the number of style arms and
mericarps should be the same, and the latter is easier to count).

Well grown plants can be much larger; the books say 3 ft for northern
Europe and 4 feet for the Mediterranean, but I know of one (wild?) plant
which has reached 9 feet, and have seen cultivated plants in excess of 6
ft.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Identification/advice.html

Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:35:53 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Osiris
writes
Could someone please tell me what this is :

http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0636.JPG
http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0637.JPG (mature flower)

the flower seems to have 12 styles/sigmas and a lot of stamen,
that seem only to differentiate in a mature flowers.

5 petals
2 x 5 sepals
leafs stand singel on the stem
plant 2 ft high (60 cm)
No woody parts.

petals have dark purple veins and lighter purple borders.
on other plants, the border of the petal may be almost white.

Malva sylvestris. Neither looks like a pure seed strain, but the first
flower bears resemblances to the Mauritiana group, and the second to
'Zebrina'. (I could being misled by the darkness of the photograph.)

yep.. thst is the one. found this:
http://www.gesundheit.de/heilpflanze...ris-maur-1.jpg
http://www.gesundheit.de/heilpflanze...ve/malve.shtml
http://www.dianeseeds.com/malva-zebrina.html

If you look again at the flowers you should find one ring of 3 (not 5)
bracteoles (epicalyx) and one ring of 5 sepals (calyx).

indeed. looks like sepals..but 3+5 indeed.

The number of stamens is variable in Malva sylvestris (I've got one
plant which is estaminate or nearly so), but the general run have more
stamens than your image.

I have yet counted mericarps for a wide variety of accessions but I've
been getting more counts of 10 than 12 (the number of style arms and
mericarps should be the same, and the latter is easier to count).

Well grown plants can be much larger; the books say 3 ft for northern

3 ft could be yes...

Europe and 4 feet for the Mediterranean, but I know of one (wild?) plant
which has reached 9 feet, and have seen cultivated plants in excess of 6
ft.

thanx all

Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:03:45 +0200, Osiris wrote:

Could someone please tell me what this is :

http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0636.JPG
http://www.terwiel.com/diversen/DSCN0637.JPG (mature flower)

the flower seems to have 12 styles/sigmas and a lot of stamen,
that seem only to differentiate in a mature flowers.

5 petals
2 x 5 sepals
leafs stand singel on the stem
plant 2 ft high (60 cm)
No woody parts.

petals have dark purple veins and lighter purple borders.
on other plants, the border of the petal may be almost white.

thanx all:
Malva Silvestris is one, the other Zebrina
Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:35:53 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Osiris
writes
[...]

indeed 3+5