Old 17-09-2006, 02:27 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default 10 Plants, need ID

I'm new to the botany world and have been using BBC's plant finder to try
and identify some flowers by color and type but the example pictures there
aren't always the best quality. I've had luck with a few but still need
help with 10 more. If you can help identify any of these or point me to a
website that would, I'd be grateful.

http://homepages.uc.edu/~rotherp/flora/

TIA
-Pete
Old 17-09-2006, 04:10 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Peter Rother
writes
I'm new to the botany world and have been using BBC's plant finder to try
and identify some flowers by color and type but the example pictures there
aren't always the best quality. I've had luck with a few but still need
help with 10 more. If you can help identify any of these or point me to a
website that would, I'd be grateful.

http://homepages.uc.edu/~rotherp/flora/

TIA
-Pete

1) Abutilon, probably a variety of Abutilon x hybridum; or, less likely,
one of its progenitor species.

2) Rudbeckia (Coneflower)?

3) pass, some sort of composite, but I can't place it.

4) Hibiscus; Outdoors in the UK I'd guess at Hibiscus syriacus
'Woodbridge'

5) pass.

6) another composite, but not one I know.

7) Ageratum (Flossflower) - I'm not sure that it's A. houstonianum,
which is the usual bedding plant.

8) pass. Possibly something in the Amaranthaceae/Chenopodiaceae area,

9) Saxifraga?

10) something in Crassulaceae - I'd go for Echeveria

BTW, you can compress the photographs somewhat before putting them up on
the web.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-09-2006, 06:35 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in
:

In message , Peter
Rother writes
[...]

Sorry about the photo sizes, I downsized them a bit. And thanks for the
information, it should serve to advance my research by a substantial
amount. If anyone can fill in the blanks, it would be duly appreciated.

Thanks
-Pete
Old 18-09-2006, 03:20 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

3. Try Scabiosa, perhaps?
5. Canna lily.
6. Zinnia
8. Amaranthus
9. Lobularia maritima, Sweet Alyssum

These all look to me like things that would be cultivated in the U.K.

M. Reed

Old 24-09-2006, 06:54 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Hi

3. Some horticultural variety of some Aster?

Best

-- Jan