Old 08-10-2006, 01:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID this plant

Seen growing in the prairie of New Mexico. Looks like a solanaceous
plant. It is not the common "Thorn Apple", but possibly a less
domesticated variety. The plant is sprawling and about 5 feet high with
spiny seed pods:
http://users.rcn.com/murrayallon/Plant.jpg

-- Gnarlie

Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Gnarlodious" wrote in message
ps.com...
Seen growing in the prairie of New Mexico. Looks like a solanaceous
plant. It is not the common "Thorn Apple", but possibly a less
domesticated variety. The plant is sprawling and about 5 feet high with
spiny seed pods:
http://users.rcn.com/murrayallon/Plant.jpg

Try either _Datura ferox_ or _D. quercifolia_ , other
[Chinese origin?] species of "Thorn Apple"

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weed...all&car d=H57
http://web.nmsu.edu/~kallred/corona/DaQu.html
more image links:
http://ecoport.org/ep?searchType=ent...ntityId=306951

cheers

Old 08-10-2006, 03:20 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Angels'-Trumpets or Datura ferox. Comes from Mexico, according to Stace.
The fruit of this has much thicker spines than the similar Thorn Apple (D.
stramonium), which seeds too easily, atleast in my garden in UK.

Peter

Old 09-10-2006, 04:20 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

mel turner wrote:
Try either _Datura ferox_ or _D. quercifolia_ , other
[Chinese origin?] species of "Thorn Apple"

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weed...all&car d=H57
http://web.nmsu.edu/~kallred/corona/DaQu.html

Thank you for the information. After some internet browsing I am
suitably impressed at the amount of confusion about this species, even
among supposedly well-informed websites.

We do have the stramonium here in Santa Fe, the common and lovely
"Devil's Trumpet". I believe the prairie version is D. quercifolia,
meaning the New Mexico State University picture is accurate while most
others are not.

-- Gnarlodious