GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID sought (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/151345-id-sought.html)

Andy Schecter 04-12-2006 04:50 AM

ID sought

Can some one ID these common weeds, swaying beautifully in the breeze this
time of year?

Thank you.
--

-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/

P. van Rijckevorsel 04-12-2006 07:11 AM

ID sought

Which pictures would these be?
PvR

"Andy Schecter" schreef

Andy Schecter 04-12-2006 11:17 AM

ID sought

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Which pictures would these be?

Oops.

http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/312942829/

P. van Rijckevorsel 04-12-2006 01:03 PM

ID sought

It is hard to say.

Have you ruled out this ?
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/phrau13.jpg

PvR

Andy Schecter 05-12-2006 02:34 AM

ID sought

Peter B wrote:
Where are yo? What is the environment like?

I am in western New York State, USA. These plants like to grow in moist
ditches by the roadside and in marshes. Here are two more pictures:

http://static.flickr.com/109/314522196_55441ed6a6_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/118/314522134_257508d513_o.jpg

Thank you,

Andy Schecter 05-12-2006 02:35 AM

ID sought

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Have you ruled out this ?
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/phrau13.jpg

That looks close, although I am in a much colder climate than California.
Please see my reply to Peter B for more photos.

Thank you.

Peter B[_1_] 05-12-2006 12:16 PM

ID sought

Is it not one of the Pampas grasses? Probably too far north for Cortaderia
selloana, but possibly Andean Pampas, or Jubata Grass (C. jubata): a
virulent invasive weed, which I think likes damp condtions. There is also a
more temperate variety from New Zealand whose specific name I do not know.

P. van Rijckevorsel 05-12-2006 03:31 PM

ID sought

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Have you ruled out this ?
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/phrau13.jpg

"Andy Schecter" schreef
That looks close, although I am in a much colder climate than California.
Please see my reply to Peter B for more photos.

Well, if you have not ruled out the most obvious candidate (common reed),
then that is likely to be it.
PvR

Richard Wright 05-12-2006 07:22 PM

ID sought

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:17:52 GMT, Andy Schecter
wrote:

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Which pictures would these be?

Oops.

http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/312942829/

On the evidence of your pictures and your statement that they grow in
wet places I am sure they are the common reed Phragmites communis,
which P. van Rijckevorsel mentioned.

http://www.kasumigaura.go.jp/hyakkajiten/6/6_06.html

http://www.nju.edu.cn/njuc/plantsweb...enke/luwei.htm

One of the world's most useful plants - thatching, making spears,
making rafts, food . . .

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ites+australis

Andy Schecter 06-12-2006 01:24 AM

ID sought

Richard Wright wrote:
On the evidence of your pictures and your statement that they grow in
wet places I am sure they are the common reed Phragmites communis,
which P. van Rijckevorsel mentioned.

I believe you are correct, thanks for the ID.

Andy Schecter 06-12-2006 01:24 AM

ID sought

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Well, if you have not ruled out the most obvious candidate (common reed),
then that is likely to be it.

Thank you for your help, it appears you are correct.

Andy Schecter 06-12-2006 01:24 AM

ID sought

Peter B wrote:
Is it not one of the Pampas grasses? Probably too far north for Cortaderia
selloana, but possibly Andean Pampas, or Jubata Grass (C. jubata): a
virulent invasive weed, which I think likes damp condtions. There is also a
more temperate variety from New Zealand whose specific name I do not know.

These appear to be a major problem in California. Have they established
themselves in New York? I don't know.

Charles[_1_] 06-12-2006 03:32 AM

ID sought

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 01:24:48 GMT, Andy Schecter
wrote:

Peter B wrote:
Is it not one of the Pampas grasses? Probably too far north for Cortaderia
selloana, but possibly Andean Pampas, or Jubata Grass (C. jubata): a
virulent invasive weed, which I think likes damp condtions. There is also a
more temperate variety from New Zealand whose specific name I do not know.

These appear to be a major problem in California. Have they established
themselves in New York? I don't know.

do we have those as well? I know we have Arundo donax.

http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/arundona.html