Old 04-12-2006, 04:50 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID sought

Can some one ID these common weeds, swaying beautifully in the breeze this
time of year?

Thank you.
--

-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Which pictures would these be?
PvR

"Andy Schecter" schreef

Old 04-12-2006, 11:17 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Which pictures would these be?

Oops.

http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/312942829/

Old 04-12-2006, 01:03 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

It is hard to say.

Have you ruled out this ?
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/phrau13.jpg

PvR

Old 05-12-2006, 02:34 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Peter B wrote:
Where are yo? What is the environment like?

I am in western New York State, USA. These plants like to grow in moist
ditches by the roadside and in marshes. Here are two more pictures:

http://static.flickr.com/109/314522196_55441ed6a6_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/118/314522134_257508d513_o.jpg

Thank you,

Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Have you ruled out this ?
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/phrau13.jpg

That looks close, although I am in a much colder climate than California.
Please see my reply to Peter B for more photos.

Thank you.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Is it not one of the Pampas grasses? Probably too far north for Cortaderia
selloana, but possibly Andean Pampas, or Jubata Grass (C. jubata): a
virulent invasive weed, which I think likes damp condtions. There is also a
more temperate variety from New Zealand whose specific name I do not know.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:31 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Have you ruled out this ?
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/phrau13.jpg

"Andy Schecter" schreef
That looks close, although I am in a much colder climate than California.
Please see my reply to Peter B for more photos.

Well, if you have not ruled out the most obvious candidate (common reed),
then that is likely to be it.
PvR

Old 05-12-2006, 07:22 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:17:52 GMT, Andy Schecter
wrote:

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Which pictures would these be?

Oops.

http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/312942829/

On the evidence of your pictures and your statement that they grow in
wet places I am sure they are the common reed Phragmites communis,
which P. van Rijckevorsel mentioned.

http://www.kasumigaura.go.jp/hyakkajiten/6/6_06.html

http://www.nju.edu.cn/njuc/plantsweb...enke/luwei.htm

One of the world's most useful plants - thatching, making spears,
making rafts, food . . .

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ites+australis

Old 06-12-2006, 01:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Richard Wright wrote:
On the evidence of your pictures and your statement that they grow in
wet places I am sure they are the common reed Phragmites communis,
which P. van Rijckevorsel mentioned.

I believe you are correct, thanks for the ID.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

P. van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Well, if you have not ruled out the most obvious candidate (common reed),
then that is likely to be it.

Thank you for your help, it appears you are correct.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Peter B wrote:
Is it not one of the Pampas grasses? Probably too far north for Cortaderia
selloana, but possibly Andean Pampas, or Jubata Grass (C. jubata): a
virulent invasive weed, which I think likes damp condtions. There is also a
more temperate variety from New Zealand whose specific name I do not know.

These appear to be a major problem in California. Have they established
themselves in New York? I don't know.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:32 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 01:24:48 GMT, Andy Schecter
wrote:

Peter B wrote:
Is it not one of the Pampas grasses? Probably too far north for Cortaderia
selloana, but possibly Andean Pampas, or Jubata Grass (C. jubata): a
virulent invasive weed, which I think likes damp condtions. There is also a
more temperate variety from New Zealand whose specific name I do not know.

These appear to be a major problem in California. Have they established
themselves in New York? I don't know.

do we have those as well? I know we have Arundo donax.

http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/arundona.html