GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   insect killing Douglas fir (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/15137-insect-killing-douglas-fir.html)

Archimedes Plutonium 16-04-2003 06:44 AM

insect killing Douglas fir

One of my best fir trees turned brown this Spring. I had thought it was
winterburn. But when I dug it up I noticed a huge gelatinous white mass
with
tiny yellow balls of the size of BBs. I pinched open one of these yellow

balls and could see it was some sort of egg case for some sort of
insect.

Anyone know what this is? And does it affect blue spruce or pine trees?
Or
does it affect only Douglas fir?

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Sean Houtman 20-04-2003 03:20 AM

insect killing Douglas fir

From: Archimedes Plutonium

One of my best fir trees turned brown this Spring. I had thought it was
winterburn. But when I dug it up I noticed a huge gelatinous white mass
with
tiny yellow balls of the size of BBs. I pinched open one of these yellow

balls and could see it was some sort of egg case for some sort of
insect.

Anyone know what this is? And does it affect blue spruce or pine trees?
Or
does it affect only Douglas fir?

Douglas-Fir isn't really a Fir. Ask your county Extension agent about the
infestation, they may be root mealybugs.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;
http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage

Archimedes Plutonium 20-04-2003 07:20 PM

insect killing Douglas fir

Sean Houtman wrote:
(snip)

Douglas-Fir isn't really a Fir. Ask your county Extension agent about the
infestation, they may be root mealybugs.

Yes, they look like rootmealybugs from pictures on the web. White jello like

mass to protect the bugs.

You know, it is amazing any tree makes it to old age with the number of
insects,
bacteria and viruses attacking.

Sean Houtman 21-04-2003 02:20 AM

insect killing Douglas fir

From: Archimedes Plutonium

Douglas-Fir isn't really a Fir. Ask your county Extension agent about the
infestation, they may be root mealybugs.

Yes, they look like rootmealybugs from pictures on the web. White jello like

mass to protect the bugs.

You know, it is amazing any tree makes it to old age with the number of
insects,
bacteria and viruses attacking.

"There is trouble in the forest, and the creatures all have fled..."

Sean