Old 19-04-2003, 04:56 PM
SkorpyO666

Default Operculicarya decaryi

Hi, I have some seeds coming and I was wondering if anyone has grown this
caudiciform. If anyone has, please tell me everything you know (via email
preferably or in the newsgroup) about this plant. I know absolutely nothing
about it. Thanks,
Dave
Old 20-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Iris Cohen

I am indeed familiar with it, and I wrote an article about it a few years ago
for International Bonsai magazine. I don't have room to tell you everything;
ask if you have a specific question. It is actually very easy to grow as a
potted plant or a quasi-bonsai. I have never grown it from seeds. It has never
bloomed for me, but growers in Europe get it to bloom.
The most interesting thing about this tree is that it is both a caudiciform,
with fat storage roots, and a pachycaul, with a layer of storage tissue under
the bark on the trunk & older branches. You can find pictures & other
references on the Web. I have never been able to root cuttings, but severed
storage roots sprout easily. It has no regular dormancy, but if it is chilled
or otherwise annoyed, it will lose its leaves & nap for several weeks.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 20-04-2003, 10:08 PM
SkorpyO666

Thanks. So what kind of soild should i grow it in, is 40% potting soil and 60%
sand okay?
-dave