GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID of weed please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/170506-id-weed-please.html)

Richard Wright 22-01-2008 05:58 AM

ID of weed please

This plant is obviously a member of the Asteraceae, but I can't find
it in my book on Australian weeds. I don't think it is a native.

It grows in fairly dense stands under Casuarina trees on the flood
plain of a river in a warm temperate area of inland NSW (Bathurst). It
is just coming into flower now (mid summer).

Associated plants are Hemlock and Bidens (Cobbler's Pegs).

http://www.box.net/shared/static/0k5e2o4bo4.jpg

Apologies for the rather inadequate picture of the composite flower.

kauhl-meersburg[_2_] 22-01-2008 04:29 PM

ID of weed please

http://www.box.net/shared/static/0k5e2o4bo4.jpg
hello, the nearest I can propose - bidens subalternans (forbicina del
Rio Grande) - introduced from S-America
cheers kauhl

Peter B 22-01-2008 05:08 PM

ID of weed please

Yes - see http://tinyurl.com/27yp2e . Cetainly close. Actually present in
NSW! Click on the small image and an enlarged specimen sheet will come up.

Peter

Richard Wright 22-01-2008 09:34 PM

ID of weed please

Thanks Kauhl and Peter. Bidens subalternans it certainly is. To judge
by the description, I would not care to push through the stands when
they are seeding.