Old 22-01-2008, 05:58 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID of weed please

This plant is obviously a member of the Asteraceae, but I can't find
it in my book on Australian weeds. I don't think it is a native.

It grows in fairly dense stands under Casuarina trees on the flood
plain of a river in a warm temperate area of inland NSW (Bathurst). It
is just coming into flower now (mid summer).

Associated plants are Hemlock and Bidens (Cobbler's Pegs).

http://www.box.net/shared/static/0k5e2o4bo4.jpg

Apologies for the rather inadequate picture of the composite flower.
Old 22-01-2008, 04:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

http://www.box.net/shared/static/0k5e2o4bo4.jpg
hello, the nearest I can propose - bidens subalternans (forbicina del
Rio Grande) - introduced from S-America
cheers kauhl

Old 22-01-2008, 09:34 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Thanks Kauhl and Peter. Bidens subalternans it certainly is. To judge
by the description, I would not care to push through the stands when
they are seeding.