Old 14-03-2008, 04:18 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Is this ng dead?

?

Old 14-03-2008, 06:42 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
?

Maybe it's pining for the fjords.

At the least it's badly undernourished due to lack of posts.
Got a good botanical subject for general discussion?

cheers

Old 14-03-2008, 09:50 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"mel turner"
wrote in
message
"Peter Jason" wrote in
message
?

Maybe it's pining for the fjords.

At the least it's badly undernourished due
to lack of posts.
Got a good botanical subject for general
discussion?

cheers

Recently I posted about the possibility of
growing floating biomass in the oceans
(Sagasso Sea?) to supply extra oil for
general use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargassum

In the oceans there are minerals/CO2/water,
and the result could be harvested
mechanically.
pj

Old 16-03-2008, 04:04 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Peter Jason" wrote in news:frerv0$65e$1
@otis.netspace.net.au:

Recently I posted about the possibility of
growing floating biomass in the oceans
(Sagasso Sea?) to supply extra oil for
general use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargassum

In the oceans there are minerals/CO2/water,
and the result could be harvested
mechanically.

If the oceans were such rich grounds for growing harvestable algae, they
would be full of it already. Sea water is notably poor in iron, a very
important nutrient that can limit growth. Phosphorus is also in short
supply.

Sean

Old 27-03-2008, 04:19 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Algae

Recently I posted about the possibility of
growing floating biomass in the oceans
(Sagasso Sea?) to supply extra oil for
general use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargassum

In the oceans there are minerals/CO2/water,
and the result could be harvested
mechanically.
pj

I agree about the high eficiency of growing
biomass on water. But I think that extract
oil and separate salt from oil will be very
expensive.

May be is better use the complete dryed
plants on steam boilers installed near the
culture place.

When I was student sometime I thinked about
grow microscopic algaes on ponds and extract
them by filtering the water.

Will be great to harvest more materials
from sea, like celulose for paper.

Marco A. Achury
Caracas, Venezuela

Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Marco Achury" wrote in
message ...

[...]

We have an island off the coast here where
kelp is harvested for alginates which are
used in thickening.