Old 23-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Mick Wilson

Default Why fig weeps

My wife and I are in the middle of a debate with which we seek some
guidance.

We live in Nairobi, Kenya. In our yard is a large, mature fig tree
(specific type unknown) under which we set up an outdoor dining area.
Quite lovely on balmy nights, except for the fact that there are
frequent, large drops of colourless odourless fluid going 'splat' on
us, our diner and our pets. To all intents and purposes this fluid
appears to be water, but we have no evidence of this (no, I haven't
tried tasting it!). The rate of 'splatting' seems to have increased in
the last month or so, but as we've only been in this house for a year
we cannot tell whether increased splatting is a seasonal occurrance.

My theory is that we're experiencing some sort of normal exudation
from the tree - I see references to 'guttation' and wonder whether
this is it? Our splatting happens morning, noon and night, whereas
guttation is described as morning occurrance, but then maybe that's
accurate for indoors-in-North-America and not for
outdoors-in-Africa...

My wife's theory, supported a recognized local tree expert, is that
some sort of aphids infect the tree and the splatting is a side-effect
of the damage they're causing. Remember, these are *large* drops we're
talikng about, and if that's aphid urine then I'm not keen to taste
it. We don't see obvious sign of aphid damage on fallen leaves.

Third confusing factor - as we come up to the rainy season there are
now also quite a few large (4cm) hairy black caterpillars falling
(again, spacific type unknown) from the same tree. Maybe their
predations are causing the 'splatting'. Maybe they're attracted by or
hatch from eggs laid near to the splatting fluid's source. Maybe
they're completely unrelated.

So:
- is this type of dripping normal for some/ all types of healthy,
mature fig trees?
- is the dripping a sign of some nasty infestation that we should be
treating aggressively?

Thanx in advance
Old 23-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Charles

On 23 Oct 2002 22:23:15 -0700, (Mick Wilson)
wrote:

[...]

In Southern California, there are two.

Normal drops from a ficus, tastes sweet, loaded with sugar.

the other, from a glassy winged sharpshooter, a type of leafhopper.
no taste, just like water.

Nothing much to do bout either cause.

_
-Charles
-I have a high regard for the truth.
-I'm not going to waste any on an ordinary conversation
Old 23-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Mick Wilson

Thanx for the responses so far. At the moment it's ****ing down rain
so we're inclined neither to dine ouside nor differentiate the tree's
'splats' from the others.

Re moving or sheltering the dining setu: good suggestions but it would
still leave (ha ha) the 'why' question unresolved. Also, the 'dining
furniture' in question is some hefty logs hefted out of whole trees -
feasible, but not trivial.

The 'splats' are not infrequent - maybe one every five minutes of so
hits one of us or the nearby surfaces. It's not a real incovenience,
more of an academic curiousity as to what's going on...

As to leaf-jumper thingies: as I said we see no *obvious* damage on
fallen leaves but who knows, we may be missing subtle signs. I guess
what I'm looking for is some knowledgable person to say is 'Oh yes!
This is perfectly normal, predictable behavious from a fig tree' or to
say 'Whoa, this is wierd. Fumigate!'

I guess..

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in message . ..
(Mick Wilson) wrote:

My wife and I are in the middle of a debate with which we seek some
guidance.

We live in Nairobi, Kenya. In our yard is a large, mature fig tree
(specific type unknown) under which we set up an outdoor dining area.
Quite lovely on balmy nights, except for the fact that there are
frequent, large drops of colourless odourless fluid going 'splat' on
us, our diner and our pets. To all intents and purposes this fluid
appears to be water, but we have no evidence of this (no, I haven't
tried tasting it!).

Is there a local laboratory that could test it for you,or a local
university botany professor to ask? And have you considered a
small canopy over the table so you can dine without the droplets?

My theory is that we're experiencing some sort of normal exudation
from the tree - I see references to 'guttation' and wonder whether
this is it? Our splatting happens morning, noon and night, whereas
guttation is described as morning occurrance, but then maybe that's
accurate for indoors-in-North-America and not for
outdoors-in-Africa.

I think guttation can happen in well-watered plants at any time
of year.

My wife's theory, supported a recognized local tree expert, is that
some sort of aphids infect the tree and the splatting is a side-effect
of the damage they're causing.

Aphids do excrete excess liquid from the plant sap they are
sucking up ...

Remember, these are *large* drops we're
talikng about, and if that's aphid urine then I'm not keen to taste
it. We don't see obvious sign of aphid damage on fallen leaves.

It's not "urine" ... it's "honeydew" - a sweet liquid composed
of plant sugars. One test would be to collect a quantity of the
droplets and test the specific gravity compared to plain water.

Third confusing factor - as we come up to the rainy season there are
now also quite a few large (4cm) hairy black caterpillars falling
(again, spacific type unknown) from the same tree. Maybe their
predations are causing the 'splatting'. Maybe they're attracted by or
hatch from eggs laid near to the splatting fluid's source. Maybe
they're completely unrelated.

What moth or butterfly are they from?

My reaction would be to get a dining canopy to avoid the
mysterious droplets and falling caterpillars, and leave the tree
alone unless it shows clear signs of stress. Most trees support
a large ecosystem of insects and birds.
Tsu Dho Nimh

It is my job to completely create professional technology
in order that we may seamlessly supply competitive data.