Old 17-05-2008, 06:02 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID of orange flowering bush

First, pictures can be found he

http://www-misc.wtgroupllc.com/orang...range_ice.html

My family first encountered this in the late 1970's, in Edison, NJ. When
asked, the neighbors (an elderly couple) said the plant was called Orange Ice.
It was the only specimen in the neighborhood.

That bush was 7+ feet tall. Cuttings were taken at that time and planted in
my grandmother's yard in Sayreville, NJ.

From one of the 25-year-old Sayreville bushes, several transplants were dug up
and planted here in Montague, NJ, about six years ago. Those are the ones you
see in the pictures.

I haven't seen this thing in any plant books, nor have I had any luck
searching for a picture of it online. I had a look at several online plant
databases, but they all require more botanical knowledge than I am possessed
of to use at all.

So, anyone know what this sucker is?
Old 17-05-2008, 06:33 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

hi,
I would say "kerria japonica"
cheers kauhl
Old 17-05-2008, 09:44 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Mike Ruskai
writes
First, pictures can be found he

http://www-misc.wtgroupllc.com/orang...range_ice.html

My family first encountered this in the late 1970's, in Edison, NJ. When
asked, the neighbors (an elderly couple) said the plant was called Orange Ice.
It was the only specimen in the neighborhood.

That bush was 7+ feet tall. Cuttings were taken at that time and planted in
my grandmother's yard in Sayreville, NJ.

From one of the 25-year-old Sayreville bushes, several transplants were dug up
and planted here in Montague, NJ, about six years ago. Those are the ones you
see in the pictures.

I haven't seen this thing in any plant books, nor have I had any luck
searching for a picture of it online. I had a look at several online plant
databases, but they all require more botanical knowledge than I am possessed
of to use at all.

So, anyone know what this sucker is?

As already said, Kerria japonica. I'm not aware that there's more than
one double variety, but it doesn't look exactly the same as the Kerria
japonica 'Pleniflora' that I grow.

Plant databases and botanical databases aren't always helpful with
double-flowered forms. This particular species was first known to
science as the double-flowered form, as was misclassified as a Corchorus
(jute) until the wild form was discovered.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://florulaprima.blogspot.com
Old 18-05-2008, 12:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On or about Sat, 17 May 2008 21:44:16 +0100 did Stewart Robert Hinsley
dribble thusly:

In message , Mike Ruskai
writes
First, pictures can be found he

http://www-misc.wtgroupllc.com/orang...range_ice.html

So, anyone know what this sucker is?

As already said, Kerria japonica. I'm not aware that there's more than
one double variety, but it doesn't look exactly the same as the Kerria
japonica 'Pleniflora' that I grow.

Knowing the name now, I did a bit of searching, and turned up another photo
(from IL or MI) which matches the orange+white coloring of my plant.

Plant databases and botanical databases aren't always helpful with
double-flowered forms. This particular species was first known to
science as the double-flowered form, as was misclassified as a Corchorus
(jute) until the wild form was discovered.

Until now, I wouldn't even know to call it a double-flowered form.

Thanks for the info.