Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Jie-san Laushi

Default SV: Citron

They don't grow outdoors in New York. In Norway, they
would only grow in a greenhouse.

Neither does any other citrus fruit, but you can still buy them in the stores.
I think he was asking whether any citron fruits might be in shops in New York
-- shipped in from warmer climes. Is this citron the same thing as what the
French call bergamot?

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy
Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

They don't grow outdoors in New York. In Norway, they
would only grow in a greenhouse.

Jie-san Laushi schreef
Neither does any other citrus fruit, but you can still buy them in the

stores. I think he was asking whether any citron fruits might be in shops in
New York -- shipped in from warmer climes. Is this citron the same thing as
what the French call bergamot?

Jie-san Laushi

+ + +
No, (according to Mabberley) what the French call bergamot is Citrus
aurantium ssp bergamia as opposed to what is bergamot in the US which is a
cultivar of Citrus aurantium ssp aurantium.

Citrus medica is supposed to be one of the real species of Citrus as opposed
to most of the others which are hybrids
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
David Hershey

Default Citron

Correct. Hortus Third says bergamot (Citrus aurantium ssp. bergamia)
but is probably not grown in the United States. The so-called bergamot
orange of Florida and California is Citrus aurantium ssp aurantium
'Bouquet'.

The webpage below from Purdue University agrees with Hortus Third:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/m...ur_orange.html

The webpage also says that 'Bouquet' has "small, deep-orange fruits,
acid, with few seeds" is under 10 feet tall and "is grown as an
ornamental."

David R. Hershey

Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Iris Cohen

I think he was asking whether any citron fruits might be in shops in New
York

Not at this time of year. It is only used for the Jewish holiday of Sukkot,
which occurs in September or early October.
Is this citron the same thing as what the French call bergamot?

I don't know French, but in English bergamot is another name for beebalm,
Monarda didyma. Citron is Citrus medica.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:23 PM
MMMavocado

Iris, do you have documentation for melon being used for fruitcakes? I've
always heard, in citrus circles, that it's Citrus medica peel, and I've read
(not sure where, now) elaborate descriptions of how the peel is prepared. I
think in at least some cases it is Citrus medica peel that is being used.

Malcolm Manners
Citrus and Environmental Horticulture Dept.
Florida Southern College