GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery tree ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/183707-mystery-tree-id.html)

Mike Ruskai 17-05-2009 08:10 AM

Mystery tree ID

We recently cleaned up a heap of accumulating refuse that had started as a
makeshift tarp shed (dumpsters are worth the rental), and there was a small
tree amidst it all which has started growing again.

It's about five feet tall, and pictures of the leaves can be found he

http://www-misc.wtgroupllc.com/myste...tery_tree.html

Any ideas what it might be?

Philip Wright 17-05-2009 07:56 PM

Mystery tree ID

Mike Ruskai wrote:
We recently cleaned up a heap of accumulating refuse that had started as a
makeshift tarp shed (dumpsters are worth the rental), and there was a small
tree amidst it all which has started growing again.

It's about five feet tall, and pictures of the leaves can be found he

http://www-misc.wtgroupllc.com/myste...tery_tree.html

Any ideas what it might be?

Looks like Ailanthus altissima. Common name is Tree of Heaven.
It is a fast spreading weed. Kill it!

-Philip

Marios Giannakoulias 18-05-2009 09:03 AM

Mystery tree ID

On May 17, 9:56*pm, Philip Wright wrote:
Mike Ruskai wrote:
We recently cleaned up a heap of accumulating refuse that had started as a
makeshift tarp shed (dumpsters are worth the rental), and there was a small
tree amidst it all which has started growing again.

It's about five feet tall, and pictures of the leaves can be found he

http://www-misc.wtgroupllc.com/myste...tery_tree.html

Any ideas what it might be?

Looks like Ailanthus altissima. Common name is Tree of Heaven.
It is a fast spreading weed. Kill it!

-Philip

I totally agree with Phillip... though a nice and quicly growing tree,
it has a tendensy to grow as fast as wildfires and it produces huge
amounts of seeds. Also, it smells really bad when in flower
marios