Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Cisanthe

Can anyone tell me where Cisanthe grandiflora sits, taxonomically
speaking. I've found mention of it in various horticultural contexts,
but no indication to which branch of the angiosperms it belongs.

From observation, it's a eudicot, with 5, free, petals, 5, free, sepals,
and a superior ovary. Presumably not an asterid, so either a rosid or a
basal eudicot.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

A quick look shows that it does not exist

Occam's typorazor suggests you look at
Cistanthe grandiflora (Portulaceae, with characters as described by you)
PvR

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef in berichtnieuws
Can anyone tell me where Cisanthe grandiflora sits, taxonomically
speaking. I've found mention of it in various horticultural contexts,
but no indication to which branch of the angiosperms it belongs.

From observation, it's a eudicot, with 5, free, petals, 5, free, sepals,

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , P van Rijckevorsel
writes
A quick look shows that it does not exist

Occam's typorazor suggests you look at
Cistanthe grandiflora (Portulaceae, with characters as described by you)
PvR

That looks right. Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Iris Cohen

Can anyone tell me where Cisanthe grandiflora sits, taxonomically speaking.

Although it is known by that name in the trade, I suspect that is not its
correct name. MB3Tropicos never heard of it; neither did GardenWeb. I tried
IPNI, but it was broken. Judging from the picture of a flower I saw & your
description, it is rather primitive & close to the Tiliaceae. Some of the large
plant encyclopedias tell you which family each plant belongs to.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel writes
A quick look shows that it does not exist

Occam's typorazor suggests you look at

Cistanthe grandiflora (Portulaceae, with characters as described by you)
PvR

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
That looks right. Thanks.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +
You are welcome

This would be a likely typo since Latin "cis-" is so common ("Gallia
cisalpina", also in organic chemistry) while 'cist-' (either from the genus
'Cistus' or from the Greek 'kiste': cf Eng 'cyst') is fairly uncommon
(Cistanthe, Cistanthera).
PvR