Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Judith Baltsar

Default Information on seed dispersal

Hello everybody,
I'm currently compiling a list of species and their dispersal agents
(from floodplain meadows in NE Europe). I have quite a pile of floras
and compilations of data at hand and for a large number of species and
groups the decision is quite easy but for others information is scarce
or contradictory.

E.g. there is very few information on Carex: is it possible to say
that ALL species of Carex are easily dispersed by running water (by
means of air trapped in the utricle)? For some species this can be
found in the literature, for most others there is no agent mentioned,
and it is not clear if the authors just had no information or if they
thought that these species had in fact no specific dispersal vector.
Some sources even note "wind dispersed" which I cannot really believe
considering the weight of Carex seeds.

If you don't mind I will add a longish list of species below, where my
sources or myself are in doubt. Please feel free to ignore it entirely
or add whatever you think might help.

Thank you very much
Judith

graminoids:

Agrostis canina
Agrostis capillaris
Agrostis stolonifera
Alopecurus pratensis
Anthoxanthum odoratum
Briza media
Carex appropinquata
Carex buxbaumii
Carex cespitosa
Carex disticha
Carex hartmannii
Carex hostiana
Carex leporina
Carex vaginata
Carex vulpina
Dactylis glomerata
Deschampsia cespitosa
Festuca ovina
Festuca pratensis
Festuca rubra
Helictotrichon pratense
Helictotrichon pubescens
Hierochloe odorata
Juncus filiformis
Molinia caerulea
Nardus stricta
Phalaris arundinacea
Phleum pratense
Poa angustifolia
Poa palustris
Poa pratensis
Poa trivialis
Sesleria caerulea

forbs:

Alchemilla vulgaris agg.
Betonica officinalis
Iris sibirica
Galium boreale
Galium mollugo
Galium uliginosum
Polygala amarella
Ranunculus acris
Ranunculus auricomus agg.
Ranunculus fallax
Ranunculus polyanthemos
Ranunculus repens
Rumex longifolius
Selinum carvifolia
Sium latifolium
Stellaria palustris
Thalictrum flavum
Thalictrum lucidum
Veronica longifolia

Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Monique Reed

At least some of your list--any Ranunculus with pointy achene beaks
and probably some of the Galiums, grases, and sedges-- may also be
dispersed by fruit clinging to feathers or fur. Go for a walk with
short pants and woolly socks and see how much you pick up!

Monique Reed