GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   musa ensete (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/18449-musa-ensete.html)

iDeafix 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

musa ensete

Where can I find info about this tree?

Google doesn't know much about it.

thnxs

Christopher Green 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

musa ensete

"iDeafix" wrote in message ...
Where can I find info about this tree?

Google doesn't know much about it.

thnxs

I got 1,430 hits on Google, many from Europe, so it's not all that
obscure. There's a detailed article (but in German) at
http://www.pflanzen.onlinehome.de/ex...nenstaude.htm.
Sunset's Western Garden Book also lists it. It's also called
"Abyssinian Banana" in the nursery trade, and some know it as Ensete
ventricosum; and it's a perennial, not a tree: it's not woody. There
are 5-footers, and there are tree-sized ones. All are dramatic
specimen plants; many have colorful foliage. But you need a greenhouse
or thoroughly frost-proof outdoor site protected from wind; they're
unhappy below about 10C (50F), and wind will shred their leaves.

--
Chris Green

Sean Houtman 26-04-2003 01:29 PM

musa ensete

From: (Iris Cohen)

Where can I find info about this tree?

First of all, don't call it a tree. Bananas are herbaceous. What do you want
know? A search on "banana plants" produced several links.

I want to know if it can be grown as a Banzai.

;)

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;
http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage

Monique Reed 26-04-2003 01:30 PM

musa ensete

I don't think so, in the traditional bonsai sense. You have no wood
to work with, no woody branches to snip back and prune. The "trunk"
is merely leaf bases folded round each other and the growing point.
You might be able to stunt one with root confinement, but I doubt
you'd get true miniaturization.

Monique Reed

David Hershey 26-04-2003 01:30 PM

musa ensete

Dwarf Rhapis palms (Rhapis excelsa) and a few other palms can be used in bonsai.

http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2001/bonsai.htm

David R. Hershey

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
I want to know if it can be grown as a Banzai.

The spelling is bonsai. With very few exceptions, only dicots (Magnoliopsida)
among the flowering plants can be used for bonsai. I have a pygmy date palm
which is called a bonsai by courtesy, because a true date palm is 100 feet tall
and a full size Phoenix roebelenii in a mall is 50 feet tall. It grows one to
three trunks & is in a 10 inch pot. Every other year or so I repot it & hack
off most of the roots. At least a palm has a somewhat woody trunk. A banana is
an herbaceous plant. Some species are smaller than others, but not bonsai
material. Can't you find something else?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885

David D. 26-04-2003 01:30 PM

musa ensete

ose (Sean Houtman) wrote in message

I want to know if it can be grown as a Banzai.

;)

Sean

Well, if you were a kamikaze pilot, perhaps you could throw a couple
of bonzai at the enemy below, as you shouted "Banzai" . . .

Sean Houtman 26-04-2003 01:30 PM

musa ensete

From: (David D.)

I want to know if it can be grown as a Banzai.

;)

Sean

Well, if you were a kamikaze pilot, perhaps you could throw a couple
of bonzai at the enemy below, as you shouted "Banzai" . . .

I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to get this one. Since we were
discussing Musa, perhaps we could just throw some banana peels at them.

Sean

P van Rijckevorsel 26-04-2003 01:30 PM

musa ensete

From: (David D.)
I want to know if it can be grown as a Banzai. ;)

Sean

Well, if you were a kamikaze pilot, perhaps you could throw a couple
of bonzai at the enemy below, as you shouted "Banzai" . . .

Sean Houtman schreef
I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to get this one. Since we

were discussing Musa, perhaps we could just throw some banana peels at them.

Sean

+ + +
Actually I did not think it was that good since it suffers from a logical
flaw. The only people who will be badly effected by having a bonsai thrown
at them would be Japanese (aghast at the sacriledge). Since Kamikaze pilots
yelling "banzai" are also Japanese this would only be effective in a
Japanese Civil War...
PvR

Not to mention that Kamikaze pilots do not throw anything down

Sean Houtman 26-04-2003 01:30 PM

musa ensete

From: "P van Rijckevorsel"

Actually I did not think it was that good since it suffers from a logical
flaw. The only people who will be badly effected by having a bonsai thrown
at them would be Japanese (aghast at the sacriledge). Since Kamikaze pilots
yelling "banzai" are also Japanese this would only be effective in a
Japanese Civil War...
PvR

Not to mention that Kamikaze pilots do not throw anything down

Well, they do throw themselves down.

Sean

P van Rijckevorsel 26-04-2003 01:30 PM

musa ensete

From: "P van Rijckevorsel"
Actually I did not think it was that good since it suffers from a logical

flaw. The only people who will be badly effected by having a bonsai thrown
at them would be Japanese (aghast at the sacriledge). Since Kamikaze pilots
yelling "banzai" are also Japanese this would only be effective in a
Japanese Civil War...
PvR

Not to mention that Kamikaze pilots do not throw anything down

=======
Sean Houtman schreef
Well, they do throw themselves down.
Sean

+ + +
On the theory that Japanese identify themselves so closely with bonzai, that
they actually think of themselves as being bonsai?
PvR