Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
iDeafix

Default musa ensete

Where can I find info about this tree?

Google doesn't know much about it.

thnxs

Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Christopher Green

"iDeafix" wrote in message ...
Where can I find info about this tree?

Google doesn't know much about it.

thnxs

I got 1,430 hits on Google, many from Europe, so it's not all that
obscure. There's a detailed article (but in German) at
http://www.pflanzen.onlinehome.de/ex...nenstaude.htm.
Sunset's Western Garden Book also lists it. It's also called
"Abyssinian Banana" in the nursery trade, and some know it as Ensete
ventricosum; and it's a perennial, not a tree: it's not woody. There
are 5-footers, and there are tree-sized ones. All are dramatic
specimen plants; many have colorful foliage. But you need a greenhouse
or thoroughly frost-proof outdoor site protected from wind; they're
unhappy below about 10C (50F), and wind will shred their leaves.

--
Chris Green
Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Monique Reed

I don't think so, in the traditional bonsai sense. You have no wood
to work with, no woody branches to snip back and prune. The "trunk"
is merely leaf bases folded round each other and the growing point.
You might be able to stunt one with root confinement, but I doubt
you'd get true miniaturization.

Monique Reed

I want to know if it can be grown as a Banzai.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 08-04-02 with 15 pictures of the Aztec Ruins.

Ensete ventricosum Maurelii Janet United Kingdom 5 24-09-2013 06:10 PM
Musa Basjoo p.k. United Kingdom 0 09-11-2005 04:16 PM
Musa bananarama Anietta United Kingdom 0 14-04-2005 06:32 PM
Musa basjoo - overwintering D Russell United Kingdom 0 14-05-2004 03:13 PM
musa ensete Monique Reed Plant Science 6 26-04-2003 01:30 PM