Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default one more new book

? ? ?

DOWELD A. B. New Syllabus of Plant Families (A Plant World System).

Approx. 500 p. Hardbound; 21 cm x 29 cm PRICE: 150.00 EURO/US $166.67

For botanists, zoologists, palaeontologists (palaeobotanists),
protistologists, molecular biologists, all interested in botanical and
zoological nomenclature and phylogenetic systematics.

The book contains the phylogenetic system of all plants from plant-like
procaryotes, lower plant-like protistan organisms, algae, and fungi to
mosses and higher vascular plants. Each family of plants is briefly
characterized with diagnosis, provided a full synonymy from 1753 (omitted
invalidly published, descriptive and illegitimate names), in some cases
detailed infrafamilial classification is presented. The Syllabus covers all
known plants, including fossil, for the period of cca. 4700 million years
(from Precambrian to Extant), described from the starting point of botanical
nomenclature (Linnaeus' Species Plantarum, 1753). The New Syllabus
supersedes the world known 'Syllabus der Pflanzenfamilien', which has been
initiated by the German botanist Adolf Engler in 1892 and which served as a
main source of systematic botany for the nearly half of 20th century.
5 kingdoms of plants (aggregated into subempire Chlorota) and kingdom of
fungi (treated as belonging to Zoota (Opisthokonta) subempire of Eukaryotes)
contain cca. 7500 validly published names of families, orders, superorders,
(sub-) classes as on Jan, 2003, including for the first time revised and
summarized fossil suprageneric names. A revised, brief system of Eukaryota
is also added with 481 analogous suprageneric names: the Eukaryota is
considered as a domain (empire) of organisms, splitted into two subdomains,
Chlorota (plant-like organisms aggreagted into 5 kingdoms) and Zoota
(animals and fungi in 6 kingdoms). More than 120 new suprageneric names
(from family to phyla) are validated according to provisions of both
International Codes of Botanical and Zoological Nomenclature. A
comprehensive bibliography (approx. 1700 entries) covers all papers and
books in which all summarized suprageneric names for the period of cca. 250
years (since 1753)have been validly published.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Cereoid+10

There's always new books.

Are you getting a commission on this one?

? ? ?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Why, do you think it would be worthwhile?
It does not necessarily look like a bestseller to me
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes

I assume the following is the publisher's blurb.

[...]

From what I read, splitting the Eukaryotes into plant-like and animal-
like groups is not supported by the evidence. See, e.g. Tree of Life,
for details. Animals, plants, fungi and chromists (stramenopiles) are
all crown eukaryotes. I'm guessing that this book covers taxa from at
least three kingdoms - plants, fungi and chromists: three plant kingdoms
might be green plants (with green algae), rhodophytes and glaucophytes,
but I think one has to dig into Chromista to find the others.

I can find 4 groups of opisthokonts which might be granted the rank of
Kingdom - animals (Animalia, Metazoa), (most traditional) Fungi,
choanoflagellates (Choanozoa) and microsporidians - but some sources say
that microsporidians are fungi. Myxozoa are secondarily unicellular
metazoans. Perhaps Ancyromonadida is a fifth kingdom. The sister group
to Opisthokonta appears to be Mycetozoa (cellular and plasmodial slime
molds).

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
I assume the following is the publisher's blurb.

+ + +
Actually the bookseller's, but likely based on the publisher's
========
[...]

From what I read, splitting the Eukaryotes into plant-like and animal-

[...]

Thank you.
Actually I am always shying away from books that go very much above the
level of order. The only real reason I saw of being skeptical otherwise is
the curious way they are handling names. The one moment they claim
completeness, the other they are omitting illegimate and even descriptive
names.
Perhaps they spent so much time writing that it now is badly out of date?
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
+ + +
Actually the bookseller's, but likely based on the publisher's

Where would I find it; Amazon (US, UK, DE) don't know about it.

From what I read, splitting the Eukaryotes into plant-like and animal-

like groups is not supported by the evidence. See, e.g. Tree of Life,
for details. Animals, plants, fungi and chromists (stramenopiles) are
all crown eukaryotes. I'm guessing that this book covers taxa from at
least three kingdoms - plants, fungi and chromists: three plant kingdoms
might be green plants (with green algae), rhodophytes and glaucophytes,
but I think one has to dig into Chromista to find the others.

On re-reading the blurb I see it says that it covers plant-like
prokaryotes, which might be cyanobacteria and perhaps purple
photosynthetic bacteria. (I thought all bacteria were historically
considered as plants.)

+ + +
Thank you.
Actually I am always shying away from books that go very much above the
level of order. The only real reason I saw of being skeptical otherwise is

I've just acquired Vol. 5 of The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants
(covering 2.5 orders). Already out of date, in that some published and
semi-published molecular data is not taken into account. I've been
thinking of writing a review, but firstly I would be at risk of
unintentionally condemning it with faint praise, and secondly I don't
have the knowledge to judge the contents, except for Malvaceae, and
perhaps some other bits of Malvales.

the curious way they are handling names. The one moment they claim
completeness, the other they are omitting illegimate and even descriptive
names.
Perhaps they spent so much time writing that it now is badly out of date?
PvR

I think that it is better described as a syllabus of families of
organisms subject to the rules of the ICBN. (Which might be roughly
coincident with photosynthetic and saprophytic organisms.) With the way
the plant/animal dichotomy was forced onto fungi, protists and bacteria
this is a heterogenous collection. It sounds as if the top level of
their classification is badly distorted by forcing it into the
traditional dichotomy, but there's no reason to believe that the data
from kingdom on down is wrong. Then again, it might just be the blurb
that's broken; in fiction, at least, the inaccuracy of blurbs is
notorious.

I don't know what they mean by descriptive names. Perhaps they mean
names which aren't proper binomials. Or perhaps unranked taxa.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley
P van Rijckevorsel writes
Actually the bookseller's, but likely based on the publisher's

Where would I find it; Amazon (US, UK, DE) don't know about it.

+ + +
In this case Koeltz, it is supposed to appear in August / September 2003.
I like to keep up.
+ + +

I've just acquired Vol. 5 of The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants

(covering 2.5 orders). Already out of date, in that some published and
semi-published molecular data is not taken into account. I've been
thinking of writing a review, but firstly I would be at risk of
unintentionally condemning it with faint praise, and secondly I don't
have the knowledge to judge the contents, except for Malvaceae, and
perhaps some other bits of Malvales.

+ + +
Writing reviews is indeed fairly dangerous, but since this is a
well-established series there will be plenty of reviews of earlier volumes
to use as examples. Also readers pretty much know what to expect.
+ + +

the curious way they are handling names. The one moment they claim

completeness, the other they are omitting illegimate and even descriptive
names. Perhaps they spent so much time writing that it now is badly out of
date?
PvR

I think that it is better described as a syllabus of families of

organisms subject to the rules of the ICBN.

+ + +
The ICBN is a set of rules of nomenclature and will fit just about any
classification
+ + +

(Which might be roughly

coincident with photosynthetic and saprophytic organisms.) With the way
the plant/animal dichotomy was forced onto fungi, protists and bacteria
this is a heterogenous collection. It sounds as if the top level of
their classification is badly distorted by forcing it into the
traditional dichotomy, but there's no reason to believe that the data
from kingdom on down is wrong. Then again, it might just be the blurb
that's broken; in fiction, at least, the inaccuracy of blurbs is
notorious.

+ + +
Too true. In fiction, of course, there also is the cover illustration which
can be amazingly ill-fitting the contents of the book
+ + +

I don't know what they mean by descriptive names. Perhaps they mean

names which aren't proper binomials. Or perhaps unranked taxa.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +
Normally "descriptive names" are names not derived from genera (such as
Magnoliophyta and Liliopsida) but describing a featu Rhodophyta,
Angiospermae, Dicotyledones, Gramineae, etc. Above the rank of family these
can be freely used.
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

DOWELD A. B. New Syllabus of Plant Families (A Plant World System).

Approx. 500 p. Hardbound; 21 cm x 29 cm PRICE: 150.00 EURO/US $166.67

The Syllabus covers all
known plants, including fossil, for the period of cca. 4700 million years
(from Precambrian to Extant),

Umm, maybe I'm completely out of date, but I didn't know there were any Hadean
rocks around to find fossils in. Just how old are the oldest rocks, these
days, and just how old are the oldest fossils (presumably of bacteria-like
things)?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

cca. 4700 million years (from Precambrian to Extant),

Beverly Erlebacher schreef
Umm, maybe I'm completely out of date, but I didn't know there were any

Hadean rocks around to find fossils in. Just how old are the oldest rocks,
these days, and just how old are the oldest fossils (presumably of
bacteria-like things)?

+ + +
Of course it is very easy to give a complete overview of a time period of
which no known material exist?
PvR