Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
whiteMemphis

Default no comprendez

I don't understand how a fruit tree, say an apple might end up getting
pollinated by as many different types of apple trees in the area close
enough for bee travel or wind and yet all the apples will be the same, even
with all the possible different types of pollen that could have been
involved in fertilization. I suppose I should have concentrated more in
botany class.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
MMMavocado

Think of it like the reproduction of any organism -- the male parent affects
the offspring's characteristics, but not the appearance of the mother. Apples
are maternal tissue, except for the seeds (which do differ, at least
genetically, based on the source of pollen). But there's no reason for the
pollen source to have any effect on the rest of the fruit. There are a few
plants in which the pollen source does affect fruit characteristics -- "Indian"
corn, dates, etc. But not so in most plants.
Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , whiteMemphis
writes
I don't understand how a fruit tree, say an apple might end up getting
pollinated by as many different types of apple trees in the area close
enough for bee travel or wind and yet all the apples will be the same, even
with all the possible different types of pollen that could have been
involved in fertilization. I suppose I should have concentrated more in
botany class.

The fruit of an apple (or any other plant) is composed of maternal
tissue, and displays the maternal phenotype. It's only the seed (maybe
only the embryo) that has a different genotype, and might be expect to
display a varying phenotype.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley