Old 28-05-2003, 10:32 AM
drme

Default nigella sativa & nigella damascena

what are the morphological differences between :

1- nigella sativa

2- nigella damascena

(specially : seed , fruit , leaf ) ?

thanx.......
Old 29-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Martin Rand

"drme" wrote in message
om...
what are the morphological differences between :

1- nigella sativa

2- nigella damascena

(specially : seed , fruit , leaf ) ?

Not all strictly morphological, I know, but:- The most conspicuous
difference is that N. damascena has an involucre of linear divided segments
(the "mist") and N. sativa doesn't. N. sativa flowers are usually
bluish-white rather than blue. The carpels are fused almost to the top
making an almost globular or elliptical capsule in N. damascena, whereas in
N. sativa they separate into longer beaks and have more obvious separate
ribs and a more flattish / retuse apex. In N. damascena they're smooth and
in N. sativa, transversely wrinkled. As for the seeds, crushed ripe seeds of
N. sativa have a spicy smell and I don't think N. damascena seeds do (I must
admit I've never tried smelling them).