Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Gardening using concreteblock

Jean Luc Pasquier wrote:

Peter, while in Europe in 1999 I did not remember seeing any concrete

block. I
am sure Europeans use concrete block for construction. Here in the States

the
standard size is 41cm X 21cm X 21cm with two holes in them.

What is the standard size of concrete block in Europe? I suspect they are
smaller
in dimensions than the USA? I want to know for the new farming agriculture
method of using concrete block.

in France, the most common size is 50cmx20cm with various possible width
7.5 , 10 15 20 cm

I dont guarantee a standard size in Europe.

JLP

Yes, actually the standard size in the USA is to account for the cement between

block so is 3/8 less than 16X8X8. In centimeters that would be approx
40X20X20 with two holes. So if in France the common size is 50X20X20 is
quite a bit larger.

My tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, squash, asparagus are in the 50X20X20
block but my potatoes need a 50X30X20 block because potatoes need more
room. I am experimenting with potatoes to see if they can do well in a
50X20X20 block or whether they need that extra room.

Report-to-date: I have some corn and squash that were planted the same time
as the tomatoes but the corn and squash were not put into a concrete block.
The tomatoes in the concrete block are twice as high as the corn and squash.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies