Old 23-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Hemoglobin

Legumes have a kind of hemoglobin called Leghemoglobin, it is red like other
hemoglobins. BRBR

This is news to me. Plants have hemoglobin? I thought it was only for animals.
I thought chlorophyll was the plant equivalent of hemoglobin. What do plants do
with hemoglobin?
Iris
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 05-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Iris Cohen wrote:

Legumes have a kind of hemoglobin called Leghemoglobin, it is red like other
hemoglobins. BRBR

This is news to me. Plants have hemoglobin?

Not impossible, since chlorophyll and hemoglobin differ only in the metal
at their center.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D.
P.A. writes

Not impossible, since chlorophyll and hemoglobin differ only in the metal
at their center.

Chlorophyll and heme differ in the metal at their centre (magnesium
versus iron). They also differ otherwise - see

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/chlor...orophyll_h.htm
http://omlc.ogi.edu/spectra/hemoglobin/hemestruct/

Note that there are (at least) five different chlorophylls.

Hemoglobin is a large protein with attached to a heme. It is not the
only such protein - others include catalase, cytochrome C, cytochrome
c554, ferritin, and hemopexin. Google is your friend.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Iris Cohen

Not impossible, since chlorophyll and hemoglobin differ only in the metal at
their center. BRBR

I was aware of that. Calcium in chlorophyll and iron in hemoglobin.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Iris Cohen

Chlorophyll and heme differ in the metal at their centre (magnesium versus
iron). BRBR

I thought it was calcium.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
I thought it was calcium.

See reference given for structure of chlorophyll.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Martin Hodson

Yes, plants (legumes) do have leghemoglobin. It is actually about ten
times better at moppping up oxygen than ours. The enzyme responsible
for nitrogen fixation in the Rhizobia bacteria in the root nodules is
very sensitive to oxygen and has a half-life of about 30 minutes in
air. Most people reckon that leghaemoglobin is only partly responsible
for keeping oxygen away from nitrogenase, and that the architecture of
the nodules is more important.
Best Wishes,
Martin Hodson